1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best year ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ledbetter, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Roger Federer beat James Blake today to win the Masters Cup. In 17 tournaments, Federer has reached 16 finals and won 12 times, including three Slams. He finished the year with a 92-5 record and a 29-match winning streak.

McEnroe had a year when he only lost four times, but is this the best individual season ever -- not only in tennis, but any sport?

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Unless you win a Grand Slam in tennis, it cannot be considered the best year ever.

Federer has had a great stretch, an almost epic stretch, but until he solves the clay, he won't have the best year ever.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Oddly, two other years that compare are also tennis.

Martina Navratilova, 1983: Record of 86-1, with the only loss coming at the French Open.

Steffi Graf, 1988: Record of 72-3, won the Grand Slam AND the Olympic gold medal.

4. Freelance Hack

That's the year that came to my mind for best ever for the ladies.

For the men, I'd have to go back to Laver's slam in 69. The first and only men's slam in the Open Era.

5. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Laver won 17 of 32 events in 1969, going 106-16.

I think it's hard to compare his slam with one today because the majors back then were only on grass and clay.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I'm betting you know a shitload more about tennis than do I, but should he really cede the "Best year ever" claim just because he isn't great on one surface, especially when that surface is pretty outmoded these days? I get that the Grand Slam is an easy way to judge "year vs. year," but this is also perhaps the most competitive -- albeit most anonymous -- era ever for men's tennis. Seems to me there are dozens and dozens of guys capable of beating each other on any given day.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Pete Sampras is a great champ, but his failings on clay are as much a story as his success.

8. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

And Federer did get to the finals of the French this year, something Pete never did.

9. Freelance Hack

He did get to the finals. And I'll agree with anyone who thinks Nadal is one of the greatest clay court players ever. And Federer will need to beat him at Roland Garros before I'll consider any season of his the greatest ever. To be the best, you've got to beat the best, not just be competitive.

Ali needed Frazier. Magic and Bird needed each other. Federer needs (to beat) Nadal.

Draft saved Draft deleted