1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best writers to read for a young writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SteveRomano13, Apr 28, 2014.

1. SteveRomano13

SteveRomano13 Member

I just wanted to get opinions on who young writers, like myself should be reading everyday. I personally am a huge fan of Mike Vaccaro and Mike lupica

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

It depends what type of writer you want to be: columnist, college beat guy, pro beat guy, etc. If you could give us an idea what you aspire to be, we could probably name quite a few people.

If you look through the APSE archives, there are links to pretty much every award-winning story. That should keep you busy for a while.

3. SteveRomano13

SteveRomano13 Member

I want to read a little bit of everything. I want to keep an open mind. Of course one day I aspire to become a columnist at a paper, but I know that comes with a lot of work. Thanks for the response!

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great advice about reading the APSE winners.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is nothing wrong with reading columnists, but as a young writer it's best to read examples of what is a good gamer or what is a good enterprise story or a good feature. You'll get that with the APSE stuff.

6. SteveRomano13

SteveRomano13 Member

Want to explain why they have failed me

7. This.
    Also, don't be afraid to branch out and read features in Esquire, New Yorker, Rolling Stone, Texas Monthly.
    Don't limit yourself strictly to sports.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Besides columns and gamers you should read long form. There are some top notch
    writers that are a must.

You might start with the patron saint of long form writing WC Heinz and his
    influential "Death of A Racehorse" story.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Because the newspaper business is shrinking rapidly and could well be virtually nonexistent by the time you hit mid-career.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Go pull up the NYT and count how many sports columnist
    they have on staff

11. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

If you're not reading Wright Thompson you are doing yourself a disservice. Also, take intiative and go find good writing. Grantland has plenty of good stuff in its archive as does Deadspin.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Subscribe to Texas Monthly.

Draft saved Draft deleted