1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best ways to decide games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jun 30, 2014.

?

What is the best way to break ties in a team sporting contest?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2014.
  1. Play until someone scores (like the NHL Playoffs)

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. Penalty shots/shootout (like the Olympics or World Cup)

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Some other method (please explain)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If you're gonna take away the goaltenders hands, then you might as well remove them completely, and just play a final crazy OT session with open nets at both ends.

Personally, I think that'd be damn fun to watch, but I know the purists would be utterly disgusted by that suggestion.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Nah, I'd keep him in there. He'd still be a major factor when the ball is in the area.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Old Tony's fakakta rules remind me of that old I Love Lucy episode when Ricky and Fred teach the girls the rules of golf:

If you fail to hit the ball after your first three strokes, you must then perform a dormie. This is accomplished by picking up the ball and throwing it under your left leg. [​IMG]

You must NEVER perform a normal stymie after your partner has dormied! This is a major offense, and doing so may result in you being thrown off the golf course entirely. To avoid this cardinal error, you must salute and ask permission to shoot out a turn and perform a birdie. This is a stroke where you flap your arms like wings and whistle before hitting the ball.
    [​IMG]

Remember to use the advantageous hop-skip-and-the-jump shot when you're between 47 and 63 yards from the green. [​IMG]

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How come, Joe? I'm definitely in favor of the sudden-death, "golden goal" format once you get to overtime. Hell, ANYTHING to produce an actual result without going to penalty kicks.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

There is no legitimate excuse for any major college or professional player, male or female, shooting less than 80 percent on free throws. No one is guarding you and the basket does not move. It's the equivalent of a 5-foot putt in golf. Make it.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I hate free throws.

I would love to see them written out of basketball.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's no legitimate excuse for any college student to not be able to make at least 80 percent on an introductory multivariate calculus examination. There's no one guarding you and the paper doesn't move. It's the equivalent of playing Breval's Sonata in C Major on the cello ... do it.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If you aren't going to do golden goal, the best and fairest way is very simple -- a replay a couple of days later. It could even be a truncated game.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Replays would be great ... except for the time constraints of the schedule.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Heck no. You replay your tied Round of 16 game a couple days later. Then fly overnight and play your quarterfinal.

Its a smasher of idea!!

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd prefer that each team get three timeouts in the final minute to talk strategy. It adds drama.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Tony's ideal goalies in extra time:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted