1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best ways to decide games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jun 30, 2014.

?

What is the best way to break ties in a team sporting contest?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2014.
  1. Play until someone scores (like the NHL Playoffs)

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. Penalty shots/shootout (like the Olympics or World Cup)

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Some other method (please explain)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So two of the elimination games thus far at the World Cup have been decided on penalty kicks. Exciting, dramatic finishes, to be sure. Also, a terrible way to lose an elimination game.

So the debate ensues: when a game is tied and cannot end in a tie (because one team has to advance), what is the best way to break the tie? Should it be penalty kicks/shots, such as is used in the World Cup or Olympics? Or should the teams continue to play for however long necessary until one team scores, such as the Stanley Cup Playoffs?

Are different methods better for different sports and, if so, why?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Different sports, different solutions.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Soccer obviously has a particular problem because scoring in itself is so rare and ties so much more common.

Maybe they should play 20 minutes overtime with no offsides rules, then 20 minutes with unlimited subsititution, then go to PKs.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Would prefer to see the elimination rounds of the World Cup be sudden death after regulation and not go to PKs.

At the very least, make the final that way.

PKs certainly offer great drama and tension, but would rather see the winner settled in the standard course of play.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We'd all prefer games to be decided in the run of play, rather than PKs. But fatigue is a huge factor in extra time. I couldn't imagine quality soccer being played in a second extra time session.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Mixed feelings on this one.

There's part of me that says just play until someone wins. I don't know if that's fair or realistic though, especially with hockey and soccer. I also remember how exciting the 1994 WC final, the 1999 Women's WC Final and the US-Russia hockey game this year were while going to penalty kicks/shots.

With the limited substitutions in soccer, I think that would make it especially difficult to do.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Channeling Ann Coulter ...

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Games would go 300 minutes and still no goals. Maybe they could do "first player to die, his team loses."

I've always hoped for an extra two substitutions at the start of overtime. But other than that, I don't think there's anything to be done.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I like both of your suggestions. I would also submit this: Play the normal 11-on-11 with one change -- goalie can't use his hands. If he does (and it would have to be confirmed by replay) it's a goal and game over.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Have special, wider and taller overtime goals. Play 10-minute overtime periods, and as they go by without a winner the goals get bigger and bigger.

Or how about this? As we go further into overtime, the teams play with fewer and fewer players. Allow substitutions between periods (that get shorter as we go on and on), but eventually we wind up with three (two and a goalie) on three.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is one of the most ridiculous suggestions I have ever seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted