1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best way to pursue a job in a Sports Information Department?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Jun 22, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Re: Best way to break into a SID?

Nah, use this:

[​IMG]

Lockpick kit in a business card-sized frame.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

First, kiss your spouse and kids goodbye. You'll never see them again.

Next, pack a travel bag and don't plan to unpack it for a year.

Then load up the iPod with several hours worth of music for the long bus rides.

Get ready to scale back your cost of living. And cancel your cable, because you'll never be home to watch it.

The only job where the hours and pay are worse than in sports journalism? Sports information. Especially at the DII, DIII and NAIA levels.

3. The hours may be worse, depending on the situation. The pay is not, at least not for the jobs I've looked at.

4. donaugust

donaugust Member

May help to join CoSIDA, their national organization, and attend their convention. Coming up soon in Orlando.

http://www.cosida.com/

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Damn. I'm gonna be in Orlando from the 10th-16th. Just missed this. That would have been cool.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Can you write? If so, you're overqualified.

7. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

That's not nice. I've seen a lot of good features written by SID departments.

The one cool thing about my SID experience was that the athletic department became extended family. We'd work a football game or tournament, then go over to the AD's house, or a booster's house, and the food and fellowship [spouses and children were invited] was amazing.

It's also rewarding to help students learn the trade... and smart as well. By senior year, you can give them volleyball, baseball, softball and all those sports and free up more time to do football and basketball right.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I sure hope it is in Tampa because that's where my staff is going.

9. Moderator1

I just posted a job on the jobs board, though it is not entry level. I get a bunch of listings these days and will post them because there seems to be some interest.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sorry Dan, but I'll stand by that.

For my purposes, I don't care about features. Ninety percent of what I need from SID offices are advance material and the bare bones of what happened. Most of the stories written after games (matches, races, etc.) that I see are so overwritten, you've got to tear them down and start over. Useless on deadline.

Just a little dash of AP style and AP approach ... get the important stuff at the top, for instance, would be a big help.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Good idea. I have three D-I schools within an hour of me. The SID in my town is a former beat writer. The beat writers an hour to my east and an hour to my west are both former SIDs. I've had young SIDs inquire about work at my paper and I've had interns at our paper ask about SID jobs.

12. Moderator1

So he became an SID because he couldn't write? Because, as has been noted, if you can write you can't do this job?

Draft saved Draft deleted