1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best way to first reference high schools?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cullen9, Jul 15, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I like the Texas way because it quickly answers the question "Where is John Tyler High (answer, it's in Tyler, thus Johnny's famous Tyler John Tyler). Tyler John Tyler gave us Earl Campbell, by the way, if I'm not mistaken.

2. It's something that changes state-by-state. I've discovered in Iowa and Illinois, where Catholic schools are dominant, you almost always put the city name in because there is usually a private school with the city name in there. For example, you'll get West Des Moines Valley vs. West Des Moines Dowling Catholic, or Rock Island against Rock Island Alleman.

In Virginia, where Catholic schools are afterthoughts, the city is seldom bothered with. It's simply Westfield vs. South Lakes, no city required. In the Midwest, it would likely be written as Chantilly Westfield against Reston South Lakes. The only time a city is needed there is if another school calls itself the same thing, such as Park View-Sterling and Park View-South Hill.

It just depends on what your paper's style is and its location.

Draft saved Draft deleted