1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best vacation? I'm in the midst of mine...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WriteThinking, Oct 13, 2012.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a thread on this (although I'm sure there has been one), and I don't want to waste the high-seas satellite internet connection minutes I've purchased by taking a lot of time to search.

But I'm in the middle of what is fast becoming the best vacation I"ve ever enjoyed -- a two-week cruise through Canada, Nova Scotia and back down along the eastern seaboard of the U.S. (Just in case you all have been wondering where I've been and why I haven't been on here lately. :))

This is my first cruise and I'm a convert now. After all, what's not to like? My brother and sister-in-law came home one time complaining about a cruise and proclaiming that they'd never go on another one. Based on my experience so far, I can't imagine ever saying that, and it makes me think they just don't know how to be content and happy and enjoy themselves.

I, for one, am loving the actual cruising on the days we're at sea, and I'm enjoying the ports of call and stops, all in places I"ve never been before.

Perhaps I'm just being a typically wide-eyed newbie, or maybe it's not saying too much, because I've never been out of the U.S. before, save for a couple of trips to Cancun. And, sure, those were great, too. But so far, I think this has been even better.

To all the SJ members to the north: I am loving your homeland. Qubec City, as well as Halifax, Nova Scotia, especially, have completely won me over. I definitely could see myself living in either place if the opportunity ever arose.

All the varied architecture, the mix of old and new, and of the overlap of the historic and the modern is incredible, and it has made me look forward to spending more time and seeing more someday, perhaps even on a long-term basis should the timing ever be right and the opportunities come up.

What experiences qualify as your favorite vacations, and why? I'd be curious and would love to hear about them.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to go with my vacation to Fort Lauderdale back in 1995. The fact that I can still remember many events on that trip in vivid detail in itself is one indication that trip was such a great experience for me, but there definitely is more to it.

My other dad asked me when the last time was that I'd gone on vacation. I honestly couldn't remember and I admitted as such. He said, "you've been deprived." Then he offered to pay for the airfare (and I think the hotel, too!) for me to travel. I decided on going to Fort Lauderdale from July 15-19 that year. Interestingly enough, that was also the time and place for HIS vacation, but we mostly went our separate ways from the time we left the airport to the time we returned to the airport.

When I checked into the hotel, I ran into a guy who was from Denmark. I had no way of knowing that I would see him again several times during the trip, and in fact hang out with him a couple of times, but I remembered that he was friendly. The first night, my other dad, his parents and I went out to dinner and did some shopping and sightseeing on Las Olas.

The next night, I walked from the lobby toward the elevator to get to my room, but saw people in the hotel pool even though it was past closing time for the pool. I went upstairs, got my swim gear on and went down to the pool. The Danish guy, his older brother and another guy from Denmark were in the pool and they invited me to join them. I did.

It would be another year and a half before I came out, but I have a sense the guys figured out I was gay. They made it clear that it was no big deal even if I were out. In fact, one went so far as to dive into the pool a handful of times in an effort for me to *ahem* get an interesting view after his failed attempt to pull down my swim trunks. We drank beer, played music, and chatted about various subjects. They even tried their hand at teaching me Danish.

I played video games with a guy from Germany who was also at the hotel on vacation. I got a ride from my Danish friends to Sawgrass Mills when they saw me waiting for a bus to the mall. I went on a "man date" before that term was ever invented with the older brother.

It was where I developed a lifelong fascination with all things related to Denmark.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Mine was a cruise as well. Last December to the Bahamas. Fives days of booze, food, sun and sex. Doesn't get much better!

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Care Bear is Danish.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Write: I LOVE Halifax. I'd move there in a heartbeat.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Along with St. John's Newfoundland, the oldest English city in North America, perhaps two of the most interesting and fun cities you'll find.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

As an adult, St. John in the Caribbean.

As a family, Disney World in February.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Prince Edward Island.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Probably a four week trip with my brother out to Atlantic Canada in the mid 70's. It still resonates. We camped the entire way. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

It was about 6 months ago.
    Right after I got laid off from the last gig, I sat around my apartment feeling sorry for myself for about a month. That got old in a hurry. Some friends from when I lived in Florida invited me on their annual spring training trip and I ended up leaving a few days early and driving down to Key West. Spent a couple days there before heading north to meet my friends and enjoy three days of drinking and baseball.
    After that I was in no mood to head back home and had no reason to, so I just kept driving. Spent a couple days with a friend in NOLA, meandered through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, spent about a week with an old college buddy in LA, drive up the coast through wine country and then Oregon and then Seattle, then another big right turn and headed back east, driving through the back roads of eastern Washington and into Idaho and Montana.
    In all I put 10,000 miles on the car in about a month and visited 25 different states.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Disney World, December 2008 ... all the Christmas stuff is out, and we went early enough that school was still in session. My parents, me, my wife, and my parents paid for everything. Totally unexpected. We had a blast because they sprung for the Fast Pass, and the lines weren't that long for rides that don't have that feature. The weather was great, sunny and 70 all week long.

I came back to Idaho to find about a foot of snow, then seriously thought of quitting my job and moving to Florida because I hate this place so much. In the long run, I might have been better off doing that.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Dr. J and I went to the Bahamas last year an we're hooked. I would love to go again. We went for four days, and I loved every second.

I would go longer though, but I did feel bad about leaving the cats. Yeah, I know but they're like my kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted