1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best three sports books you ever read?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mrbio, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have no interest in tennis but I didn't mind Feinstein's Hard Courts.

Another great baseball book that is a bit under the radar: Slouching Toward Fargo by Neal Karlen, about a guy following the independent St. Paul Saints when Bill Murray and Darryl Strawberry were involved.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

YES!!!!! I was trying to remember the name of that book! Loved every word of it. Hilarious and touching. A great, great read. I fear it has been lost in a move, though.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Foul (the Connie Hawkins bio)
    Namath
    Ball Four

4. PaulS

PaulS Member

Heaven is a Playground - Telander
    A Sense of Where You Are - McPhee
    Horns, Hogs and Nixon Coming - Frei

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It is a damn amusing read, although I believe much of its humor was generated through the time-tested technique of passing off fictional characters and events as factual.

And under no circumstances do I see it as a sports book.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Good call. Giant Steps converted me from a Kareem hater to a Kareem fan. Also sent me scurrying to read Malcom X's autobiography and learn more about that world and era.

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Thin Ice -- if my parents had only known about the off-ice content I doubt they'd let me read it in seventh grade.

Run to Daylight -- first of its kind but still stands up after all these years.

Season on the Brink -- never a Bob Knight fan, but loved the book.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I read Thin Ice when I was in high school and it was a great book. Had totally forgotten about it until the mentions here.

I wasn't a Knight fan either but after reading Season on the Brink I thought if my kid was good enough to play college hoops I'd want him to play for Knight. I know, I might be crazy, but that was the way he came through, to me, anyway, in that book.

9. Mira

Mira Member

Season on the Brink
    Seabiscuit
    Friday Night Lights

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Friday Night Lights
    The Hundred Yard Lie
    Anything by Matt Christopher.

JK but not really.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Another book came to mind: "The Big Show"

Think what you wish about either Keith Olbermann or Dan Patrick. But they were incredible together, and the chemistry showed in the book the same way it used to in the 2300 SportsCenter. Problem was that they were so good that the generation of wannabes trying to imitate them drove/drive many of us nuts.

Should have broken the mold after those two.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I agree with so many of the above selections, I'll give a few I don't think have been mentioned:

Life on the Run: Bill Bradley's diary of three weeks in the NBA. Crisp prose and includes a scene of him hitting on a stewardess.

The Fight by Norman Mailer. Probably the best writing you'll find on this list. Mailer on the Rumble in the Jungle.,

A False Spring by Pat Jordan. What it was like to be a bonus baby pitcher and a failure.

I'm currently reading the book "The Fighter" was based on. It's damn good.

Draft saved Draft deleted