1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best teams to never win a championship (last 50 years)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

until they played the 1976-77 raiders. ; p

2. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

1983 Nebraska football (went for 2, lost to Miami)
    1990-91 UNLV basketball (34-1, lost to Duke in national semifinal)

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

2007 Patriot are the clear No. 1. Nothing you can really argue against it. First team to go undefeated in a 16 game season, absolutely dominated the whole way, Brady had a record year, Moss had a record year and the team was loaded with top flight players.

As for others that popped into my head and haven't been mentioned ...

1996-97 Houston Rockets: Hakeem, Barkley and Drexler all still great players

2002-04 Yankees: 101+ wins each year

The early 2000s Sacramento Kings: Webber, Bibby, Vlade, Peja, Christie, Jackson ... and bench warmers Hedo Turkoglu and Gerald Wallace

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i'll argue 116 MLB wins.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

They both set the record for wins in a regular season.

Mariners led the league in runs scored and runs allowed but didn't set records in either. The Patriots set the record for points scored and point differential, a ridiculous +315.

The Patriots set numerous NFL records, became the first team to go 16-0 and lost the championship thanks to the greatest catch in league history.

6. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

The 2001 St. Louis Rams. I pegged them to beat the Patriots by two touchdowns and figured a dynasty in the making. Adam V. boots the game-winning field goal and there begins a Patriots dynasty. (Was that the Janet Jackson halftime fiasco Super Bowl?). Another strange dynasty shift that year was the Yankees losing to the D'backs ending their string of titles.

The '88 A's. Was certain going in that would be a sweep. Almost was ... for the Dodgers. Can't quite remember, but I think L.A. won that in 5. Add to that the 1990 A's. I didn't give the Reds a chance in hell and they indeed did sweep.

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

2001 Rams is a good one. They were massive favorites to win that Super bowl. I remember there being a big story about how many millions Vegas lost on that game.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

sure, and the mariners were the first team to win 116 games in a game that has been played since the 1800s, led the league in runs per game, plate appearances, runs, hits, rbi, stolen bases, walks, batting average, on base percentage, ops+, total bases and sac flies as well as wins (obviously) era, saves, hits, runs and whip ... all while leading the league in fielding.

the m's had neither griffey nor a-rod that season.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

'72 US Men's Olympic Basketball Team
    '80 USSR Men's Olymlpic Hockey Team

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

good call on the hoops team.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'll always maintain that 1993 was the best of the Braves' teams during their run. They didn't even make it to the World Series.

How about 2005 USC football?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1968 Colts.

Although they did win an NFL championship, nobody remembers that, because they played that extra game that had some quarterback give a guarantee.

But they had a points differential of 18 points per game, and they won with one of the greatest QBs of all time hurt all year and his backup winning league MVP.

Draft saved Draft deleted