1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sub Sandwiches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by secretariat, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Sorry to say that the subs/sandwiches from these chains are Henry Hill's proverbial egg noodles and ketchup compared to the sandwiches at the delis in the area I grew up (NY). I still fondly remember the homemade roast beef at the deli around the corner and their amazing rolls.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Never, ever mayo.

The best places are the Italian delis (we had tons growing up in Brooklyn), but as YF mentioned they are a dying breed. Most which are still around are being priced up with fancier goods, but a good hero place is key. My corner of the Jersey suburbs has two good places, but 3 chains shops. I don't really like Jersey Mike's to the person who mentioned them above and Subway is a strictly Elvis Country food.

I usually go plain and hot ham, provolone or muzz, lettuce, hot and sweet peppers, oil and vin and pepper.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, Westchester these days and I will try Sage, probably this weekend!

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Jake is spot on with Planet Sub. Here in my city, the chains are Jimmy John's, Subway, and Planet Sub. But, it's the local shops I have to get my sub fix with.

In my hometown, a local shop called Sub City. I love their meatball sub and their Italian sub with russian dressing helped tacked on a few pounds in college.

Currently, my addiction is for a place called Manhattan Deli in Des Moines. I highly reccomend the "Zach Johnson", named after the PGA golfer and native Iowan, who ordered this sub everyday when he was in school at Drake. It's ham, hard salami, pepperoni, provolone & hot pepper cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo & oil dressing on a hoagie.

ESPN is running a "fan-"wich competition on Facebook. Currently the "Adam Emmenecker Challenge" sandwich from Jehtro's near Drake is #1, the Zach Johnson is #5.

Both places (Jethro's and Manhattan Deli) are great local food dives.

http://apps.facebook.com/espn_fanwiches/sandwiches/gallery

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The last time I was in NY we took the scenic route from Cooperstown back to the city. We wanted to get a bite to eat outside the city, so we stopped at a gas station that advertised a deli.

I was wary at first, but I should've known better. I think they served Boar's Head meat, but man, the meat, bread and cheese were all top notch. Great freaking sandwich. Add some cheese and cracker combos and a 20 oz. bottle of Dr Pepper, and it makes for a tasty early dinner.

6. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

I'm sorry, but that Adam Emmenecker sandwich looks disgusting. It looked gross when it was on that Man vs. Food show, and it still looks gross. I like my food and meals to have a little bit of thought put into them, not just "Take every food item you like and throw it together with some bread." I would definitely take one of the Zach Johnsons, though.

Not to get personal, but are you talking the Sub City from the Waterloo/Cedar Falls/Waverly area? That's the one I was talking about earlier on this thread, and it's definitely at or near the top of my list.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There are two Italian markets in the Westside of L.A. that have large sandwich counters -- Sorrento in Culver City and Bay Cities in Santa Monica. All sandwiches made to order and meat is sliced fresh.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Cross threading, but I don't know how long you've been in Westchester or where you are, but check out Walters -- also in Mamaroneck -- for hot dogs. And try Sal's for Pizza.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's a Pepe's Pizza on Central Ave. in Yonkers now so little reason to go anywhere else. I've been in south-central Westchester for about 11 years now.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, good pizza is easy to find around there.

I brought an ex-girlfriend home one year. My parents are now in Pelham and we went to the local pizza joint -- I think it's called Four Corners Pizza.

She couldn't believe how good it was and was thrilled that the guys working the counter used the phrase fuggetaboutit with no hint of irony.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Italian Nightclub

12. part-timer

part-timer Member

DiStefano's is in Washington Twp. It's actually off a smaller side road, so unless you know where it is, you may not find it. Buck, I actually like Duffield's hoagies as much as DiStefano's. Carmen's was always closer to me.
    When I went to school in the midwest, Milano's off the University of Dayton campus made a good sub.

Draft saved Draft deleted