1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Stories About Picking Up Dates, Or Getting Picked Up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jul 20, 2007.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Years ago, a female co-worker set me up with one of her friends, a divorced mom who lived in her neighborhood.

The deal was this: My co-worker was hosting a political fundraiser/dinner for a Congressional candidate at her house. I was supposed to show up and mingle with her friend, this being I guess what you would call a really low-key blind date.

Anyway, I show up and my co-worker is busy handing out campaign buttons, serving food, etc., so she barely has time to say hello.

The party turns out to be dull. Really dull.

The candidate delivers an impassioned and long-winded campaign speech, which utterly bores the hell out of me, so I start talking to Susan's friend. Turns out she's bored, too. I learn that she's 38 and a college professor and at the time I was 24 and one step above a bum.

Well, one thing leads to another and we keep talking and have a couple of drinks. I walk her back home and before you know it, we are having big fun. It's wild, crazy and great.

Monday, I show up at work with a grin like the cat who ate the canary and my co-worker walks up to me, agahst. "I'm so sorry my friend never showed up," she said. "She called me Sunday and said she'd gotten sick and couldn't make it. I hope you weren't too bored."

I never said a word. ;)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That was worth a smile, 21... well played

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Worth more than a smile to me....Best beer of my life. 8)

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Better than him running his hand across the front and wondering the same thing.

5. [​IMG]

6. Surrender Dorothy.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I got some tales.

Draft saved Draft deleted