1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best state to live in as a sports reporter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Damaramu, Jan 7, 2008.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

It's expensive, but a lot of people like New York.

2. LeoDrummond

LeoDrummond New Member

Arkansas seems like a good pick -- NCAA investigations, crazy administration, athletes charged with crimes.

3. Mediator

Mediator Member

Don't forget Army, Joe! There's a lot of history there at Blaik Field, and word is, they used to have competition there as well.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yeah, but it actually involves living in Arkansas. Quite the conundrum.

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I'll always lobby for the Pacific Northwest as a place to live. Portland rather than Seattle.

As for covering sports in those two states, I don't think anyone would rank them above the states already mentioned. However, in the past, a lot of fine sports journalism has been produced by the papers in the region, both big and small.

I personally think the Northwest is a great place for a sports writer. NFL (Seahawks); NHL (Canucks); NBA (Blazers, Sonics if by some miracle they are still there next year); MLB (Mariners); four Pac-10 colleges (Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State); great high school football; CFL (BC Lions if you're into that kind of thing); soon-to-be MLS team in Seattle. Plus there's lots of opportunities in the lower-profile topics like outdoors.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Fayeteville and Little Rock aren't so bad. It's the rest of the state that sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted