1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best stand-up comics most people haven't heard of

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jay Sherman, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

George Carlin, Mitch Hedberg, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Lewis Black, Eddie Murphy, . We all know these guys and their stuff is constantly shown on TV or quoted. I'm looking for people who most people haven't heard of.

Include YouTubes of the comic you want people to know about.

Robert Schimmel - specializes in shit and fart jokes. I'm sure many of you have heard of him, but he's one of my favorites. His "Unprotected" is split up into 5 parts on YouTube. This one is my favorite part:

Brian Regan - has a Comedy Central Presents stand-up comedy. Pretty clean, worthy of playing in the car on a trip with the family. Mostly observational humor... not sure how many of you have heard his stuff before. Here's a preview:

Dan Boulger - 22 year old on the rise. Very funny, sort of reminds me of Hedberg due to delivery. He appeared in a quick late night comedy bit on Comedy Central. Here's some of his stuff from a Boston Comedy Festival when he was 20:

Jim Gaffigan - older comic who has been shown on Letterman and has a side role in the TBS show My Boys. Has funny bits on bacon and Hot Pockets:

Stephen Lynch - comic who performs all jokes in song. Gaining popularity, but still not a household name (I don't think). Here's one of my favorite songs of his:

Mike Birbiglia - shown on Premium Blend on Comedy Central and performed on David Letterman. Here's a thing about his take on white people being called crackers:

So, who do you have that I've never heard?

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Love Brian Regan. Like Gaffigan, though his delivery can get old pretty fast. I have to say I get a kick out of Greg Giraldo. Love his line during the Flavor Flav roast about Ice T: "You're so old, when you got your first record deal, you bought your freedom."

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

This thread begins and ends with Pablo Francisco.

4. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

He isn't really a today comic, but I always loved Kevin Meaney. You may hate him, though!
    Here is his impression of "We are the World," ...

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Regan, Lynch and Birbiglia are all "friends of the show" for Opie and Anthony on XM. They always like having new comics on the show.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a pretty solid list, Jay. I've got two to add.

Nick Swardson: He's in all of the new Adam Sandler flicks, usually playing a flamboyant side-character -- except for Grandma's Boy, where he had a pretty heavy role. He's quick, and he's really into the slacker, booze, party humor.

Kyle Cease: He's made a living remarking on the glory days of my generation's past -- Nintendo, the Pillsbury Doughboy, Sunny Delight. Like Swardson, he's got a laid-back delivery, and he's a bit ADD in his approach. I love his stuff.

7. JLaff

JLaff Guest

I agree with Pablo Francisco. Awesome.

Saw Jeff Garlin on Comedy Central, one of the old HBO records. Fucking hilarious. I liked Tom Parks from another one of the HBO specials on Comedy Central. Can't find any clips or anything of their stand-up routines. Zach Galifianakis is another good one. Could you count Demetri Martin? Jeff Dunham, Gabriel Iglesias, too.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Demetri is one of the funniest young stand-up comics out there.
    Very visual, though.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

With so many people honking his horn the last few days, I didn't know if he'd be unknown, really. But I'd definitely say he's one of the bests at his craft.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

What I've heard from Brian Regan has been hilarious.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

His stuff on Pop-Tarts is great.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I've heard that, and it's damn good stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted