1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best stadium in baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yea, I'm biased as a Bay Area native, but I love me some AT&T Park.

Dodgers Stadium is pretty cool, and Dodger Dogs are great, but the neighborhood sucks and the fans suck.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

How anyone can knock the Rendezvous? THE GREATEST RIBS ON EARTH!

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Another vote for KC with Wrigley close behind! Same list as the others Dodgers, Angels, Fenway, San Fran, San Diego, Camden Yards and Old Yankee Stadium. Can't endorse Old Comiskey, the place was way too nasty at the end...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that was after a decade of aggressive non-maintenance by the Reinsdorf regime in its quest to get out of there.

5. dieditor

dieditor Member

I love Dodger Stadium, but not as much as I used to. The constant bombardment of games, ads, gimmicks and loud music really detract from the look of the stadium and the great views. Of course, that's pretty much the same way in every park these days. The worst part in LA, though, is the fans. Totally uninformed about how the game works, totally disengaged in the action...it makes me wonder why they even bother.

Petco Park in San Diego=nice park, great neighborhood, again, bad fans.

I got the chance to go to Fenway this spring for a tour while the Sox were out of town. It was amazing to look at the field where so much history happened.

6. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Hee. Yeah, I've got some strange criteria. Loved the view at Busch -- you could see the Arch over the big concrete circle. Loved how into it the crowd was even though I visited when the Cards weren't that good. Felt safe walking to and from my hotel, which was a few blocks away. Enjoyed the history -- which, unlike Wrigley, wasn't that the place was home to a bunch of losers over the years.

7. I love PNC park., and although I haven't traveled to a ton of major league parks, I have to think PNC is in the top two of three easy.

I agree about wrigley, a generally overrated ballpark, although despite that, the atmosphere there is among the best. And you don't have to go there to see the women, WGN shamelessly shows just about every one of them throughout the broadcast. They don't even try and hide it.

For minor league ballparks, Indianapolis is very very nice, and travel about 2 hours north to Fort Wayne and I challenge anyone to find a nicer Single-A park than Parkview Field. Seriously, it is a wonderful place to watch a ballgame.

8. Also, I was suprised that I didn't absolutely hate the ballpark in St Petersburgh/Tampa. It wasn't all that bad

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I'm looking forward to the all star game at the new K. "Remodeling Kauffman Stadium is like sending Megan Fox to a plastic surgeon. Completely unnecessary but a worthy effort, nonetheless" http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/090701&sportCat=mlb

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Minor-league team in Indy did the same thing. They updated and heavily promoted their 1931-built ballpark for years, and then realized they'd be more profitable in a new downtown stadium sometime in the late 1980s. So they let a beautiful old park (with limited parking) rot for the better part of a decade, and then started threatening the city with the potential of moving. The city -- not wanting to lose its oldest sports franchise -- bit and cleared unused land next to downtown for a ballpark.

They got the new park right -- it became the blueprint for virtually every other minor-league park in the country -- but the methodology used to get there was more than a little bit dishonest. I still don't go to as many games there as I could.

11. dieditor

dieditor Member

Once the renovations were done in the mid-90s where they took the turf out and covered up some seats with a hand-operated scoreboard, it didn't really remind you of a cookie-cutter at first glance. I miss the place too.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I haven't been to a whole lot of ballparks, and my first choice is totally, unequivocably biased but:

Angel Stadium is my favorite. I've been there countless, possibly more than all the other stadiums combined, through all three of its versions. And since they remodeled it from the multipurpose "masoleum" it was when the Rams moved in, it's a stadium I can be proud of. Good sightlines, hardly any bad seats, and the scenery during day games isn't bad either.

Others I've been to:

Dodger Stadium: Haven't been there in awhile because, quite frankly, I despise the team and I don't want it getting any of my money. However, it's always been a great place to watch a game. However, as it's been noted in this thread, it's a nightmare getting in and out of the parking lot.

Qualcomm Stadium: It's wasn't the greatest place for baseball, but I never minded it too much, but PETCO, which I've been to a few times is awesome, especially because it's in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter, which I've always loved.

Kauffman Stadium: I've been there twice, 23 years apart, the last time right before the renovation, and it was still one of the nicer stadiums I've seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted