1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sportswriter in the US,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Oct 31, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Me. It's why I've not gotten serious about writing my novel. Haven't needed to.

[someone was bound to go there ...]

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Mizzougrad96, this man has covered it all.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You gotta hang around a while, watch who posts what.

4. writingump

writingump Member

Posnanski and Michael Lewis would be up there for me. I'd also have to put Feinstein in there because the guy always cranks out very readable books, no matter the subject. Doesn't matter if he writes about the Patriot League, Red Auerbach, baseball or golf, he nails it. Liz Merrill's stuff is very good but I don't know if I'm ready to put her in the same league with those three. I also like Jeff Pearlman as well.

5. Crash

Crash Active Member

Feinstein is an excellent writer. Problem is, he and "fact" seem to be at odds an awful lot. After reading his books, it's always nice to find something else that tells you what actually happened.

6. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

Apparently nobody saw the first sentence of my Madison Bumgarner story today. After the lede it went downhill like a Six Flags coaster (/Reilly), but that first sentence? Money. Gotta go ... there's my google alert!

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

You must be thinking of the fiction writer thread.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, you gotta say, "gotta bounce" if you want to have killer stylo.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It is most likely someone who doesn't write sports on a regular basis.
    Beat writing deadens the soul and the daily grind wipes out almost all originality.
    So a magazine guy/gal who pulls off the occasional sports takeout or the novelist not limited to sports full-time will be the winner.
    Michael Lewis seems the most obvious. Or Gregg Doyel.

10. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I'll read almost anything S.L. Price writes in sports illustrated. He just has an ability to draw me in and make me care about whatever the subject is about. Which I guess, is why he is so good in my opinion.

11. Schottey

Schottey Guest

Sam Farmer, Gregg Doyle, Gregg Easterbrook are the only three I consider "must reads" on a weekly basis. (Understanding, of course, that Easterbrook is an acquired taste.)

12. Prospero

Prospero Member

*What is your name?*
    "Prospero."
    *What is your quest?*
    "To seek the Holy Grail."
    *Who is the best American sportswriter?*
    "Gregg Doyel. No! Gary Smmmmiiiiiiiiitttttthhhhhhhhh .... !"

Draft saved Draft deleted