1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best sports video games ever ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rube, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You'll enjoy it. I have for the last 15 years.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Give me Texas on the original Ken Griffey, and I'll own every mofo here. Palmiero, Canseco and Dean Palmer were friggin beasts on that game.. and Nolan Ryan was on the bump.

Actually, it doesn't matter which team I have. The only way to beat me on that game was to hit homers, because my defense got to be absurdly good.

For the NES, my top five would be:
    Super Tecmo Bowl
    Bases Loaded
    Ice Hockey
    Double Dribble
    Blades of Steel

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was either Texas, the White Sox, Atlanta (I know) or Toronto. And the wild card was the Cubs. You can rearrange the lineup and the positions to get every defender with at least an eight in defense. Wilkins, Sandberg were 10s, and Steve Buechele, Grace, Sosa and a couple others were 9s. They had decent speed, too.

My buddy, who I kill almost all the time, beat me three times in a row because he kept hitting home runs with Chad Curtis, Tony Phillips and Gary DiSarcina on the Angels. I was furious.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Watch me make Wayne's head bleed for Superfan 99 over here.

5. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

1. Tecmo Super Bowl
    2. NBA 2K8
    3. NHL 94
    4. Madden 2000
    5. (tie) Baseball Stars
    5. (tie) Bases Loaded

NCAA Football 2006, Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain, Tecmo NBA Basketball and Madden 92 get honorable mention.

6. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Blitz the league and I do enjoy to play the EA stable of sports games Madden included.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

1. Tecmo Super Bowl
    2. NCAA Football for PS2/ Bill Walsh '96 for Sega
    3. Excite Bike
    4. Jordan vs. Bird
    5. Madden 89

8. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Playstation 2: Madden 2002, NCAA Football 2003, High Heat 2003

NES: Tecmo Bowl, Pro Wrestling, Punch-Out!!, Baseball Stars, Golf, Blades of Steel

Sega: Bill Walsh College Football, NBA Live '95, Mario Andretti Racing, NHL '94

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Blades of Steel, even if it did cause major thumb pain after about 30 minutes. It was a so good that you couldn't help but play through it.

10. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Now that I think about it, I have to add Coach K College Hoops for the Sega and March Madness '98 for the original Playstation.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I've said it before, but . . .

Why does NHL '94 get all the love? It was the first one without fights. It yes, was the first one with one-timers. But NHL '95 had one-timers, and player trades, player creation, and players stopped being identical. Being right or left handed mattered on breakaways, it affected the angle you took.

'95 perfected the formula. Does '94 get love because it was in Swingers?

Madden and FIFA keep me coming back for more even now, but NHL '95 is the one I probably logged the most hours on.

12. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

THIS IS THE 734TH TIME THIS THREAD HAS BEEN STARTED. STOP IT ALREADY!

Draft saved Draft deleted