1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best sports section: SF Chronicle?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Jan 13, 2007.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

the merc's elliott almond did a bang-up job on balco - he beat the chronicle guys numerous times

2. John D. Villareal is going to kick your fucking ass, whatever.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Calling the Freep top-drawer? . . . your taste is in your mouth.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They did an incredible job on Balco... They have some great writers there, but it's not even the best section in the Bay Area.

The SJ Merc is far and away the best section in the area. The Chronicle and Contra Costa are second and third. I'm a Bay Area guy and I love all three sections, but The Merc is the best of the three.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Too bad for Roswell they didn't have Songbird and I at the same time. We would have revolutionized sports journalism in southeast New Mexico. Instead, I worked for an SE who listened to games on the radio in the Taco Bell parking lot because he was sick of going to them in person.

On topic, I'll take the pre-cuts Dallas Morning News, but like the Stones said, it's all over now.

6. The Chron is a decent read, but only because of the columnists. The Merc and CCT are much more consistent, but are already feeling the effects of being 'Deaned ..."

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Why would you think that, Wicked? Ha ha.

Oh, yeah, I have a HUGE ax to grind with Miller. One of the biggest homers I've ever come across when it comes to the 'Niners. Despises the Cowboys, I mean d-e-s-p-i-s-e-s them. A lock to vote against Irvin year after year, and from what I've heard is only too willing to expound to other HOF voters his 'rationale' for his vote.

I'll give you an example. In this weeks '5 burning questions' NFL piece for AOL, he takes several shots at the Cowboys and T.O. Unnecessary shots, just stuff he feels like getting in because he can. You'd think he'd focus on the games at hand, but not Ol' Ira. No football discussion of his is complete unless he can swipe the 'Boys and elevate the 'Niners.

Among many qualified candidates, if there were one columnist across the nation I could magically make disappear, it would be Miller. He should have been stripped of his HOF vote a long time ago. I don't know the details of why he left the Chron, but they are much better off without him. It saddens me that the SJ Merc has picked him up, at least in syndication. I'd feel a lot better if the only column he wrote was a marker on a piece of cardboard down somewhere in the Mission District. He blows.

8. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Did someone call for me?

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted