1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best sports personality you've ever covered...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Jun 16, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

My first pro beat... Knicks last championship team

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

So that's why the Knicks haven't won jack in 30-something years! ;D

Forget drafting better, the Knicks need spnited back on the beat! ;D

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Here are a few I covered really early in my career (and theirs) who were nice guys then, and stayed nice later.

-- Matt Elliott, former Mr. Irrevelant who played OL for Carolina and Washington. I was a year ahead of him in high school, and for our school paper, he would come up with quotes in the middle of class, write them down, and give them to our sports editor asking, "Would these work for you?"

-- Mickey Morandini, while he and I were at Indiana. Just like he was as a pro, scrappy as hell and always good to talk to. He once inadvertently got me in trouble, being extensively quoted in a story I did about players being tired of beating up on a crap nonconference schedule, then not being ready for the Big Ten season. The coach, Bob Morgan, screamed at me for writing that one, punctuated by him asking the musical question, "What color is your underwear?" Technically, he screamed at my partner, who he thought was me, in a priceless exchange that, Matt Solinsky, I hope you still have on tape.

-- Speaking of early in my career, I'm happy to see the success that Joe Novak has had at Northern Illinois. He was the defensive coordinator for Indiana when I covered Hoosiers football, and he was always a great guy.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Funny that from reading your first paragraph I immediately felt like you were describing the Tony Soprano of coaching.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

Barry Zito
    Ricky Williams
    Chris Shivers
    Carlos Delgado
    Any golfer named Fred, especially Funk

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Sidney Lowe
    Kevyn Adams
    Sean Dockery

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Ray Nitschke

Dale Earnhart

George Foreman

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Wait...SEC Media Days aren't going to be called SEC Media Days any more?

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If it's like it's been in the past, the conference office will call it Kickoff 2007 - SEC Football Media Days.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Ah. Well, there you go.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Philip Rivers
    Manny Lawson
    Kay Yow
    David Thornton
    Ron Francis
    Jeff O'Neill
    Arturs Irbe

12. Mighty_Wingman

There's really only one who deserves to stand alone:
    Deion Sanders

Honorable mention: Bobby Bowden, Steve Spurrier, Tommy Tuberville, Phillip Rivers. Jim Grobe doesn't have much of a personality, as I'd define personality, but he's a great guy, so I feel compelled to mention him every time one of these threads pops up.

Draft saved Draft deleted