1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best sports personality you've ever covered...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Jun 16, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

This thread is inspired by my emailing in my application for "Kickoff 2007," or as it's not named anymore, "SEC Media Days." The first couple of years there, Lou Holtz was still at South Carolina. We used to predict how many one-liners or quips he'd use during his appearace. He always gave you good quotes to work with, but he'd also throw out some really funny stuff. A couple of times I thought I'd fall in the floor I was laughing so hard. It was a little boring last year without him. I've always thought what a blast South Carolina beat writers had while he was coaching there. So, please share with us, some of the best personalities you've covered, not just giving you good quotes to work with, but anyone who had a frustrated stand up comedian in them like Holtz. Some you keep you laughing while you were covering him/her.

2. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

John Force, without a doubt.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Force. Great call.

I'm a big fan of Dale Jr. because he really seems earnest. I like that.

Spurrier.

4. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I have REALLY limited experience covering anything beyond preps, but Greg Oden is a lot of fun in a press conference.
    Great sense of humor, humble and well-spoken for a college freshman.. But then again, I guess he wasn't your typical college freshman in terms of media exposure, so he's had practice.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Brendan Shanahan.

6. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

No experience, but is Bill Parcells as exciting an interview as he seems on ESPN?
    He always seems to be coming up with something funny/explosive/sarcastic etc...

anyone with first-hand knowledge?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll cast another vote for Force. Couldn't have been more helpful to a clueless kid covering his first non-prep event.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No. He's a bitter pain in the ass who won't tell you jack shit and won't let his assistants talk. Occasionally, he'll say something interesting or funny. Usually, he's just a jerk.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Picabo Street

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bo Schembechler... but Force is a pretty good one...

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll always be a big supporter of Brian Urlacher. During my first pro gig, he took time after the postgame media circus to answer questions I had for a feature I was doing. Just a stand-up guy.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ricky Carrigan of Compton High, California high school champion in the 100 and 200 in 1991.

Draft saved Draft deleted