1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best sports highlight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Jun 28, 2008.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

ESPN Classic just showed Game 1 of the 1988 World Series, and even though it's been 20 years and I've seen it hundreds of times, I still got a charge when Kirk Gibson hit his home run.
    I smile every time I see it.
    What old highlight does it for you?

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Doug Flutie's hail mary to beat Miami in the Orange Bowl. Incredible. I cannot watch it enough times.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Michael Jordan beating the Jazz.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Any loss by a Nick Saban team.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Luis Gonzalez dropping a bloop single into left field to effectively end the Yankee dynasty.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And we'll see you tomorrow night!

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Also, the end of the Rams-Titans Super Bowl was pretty incredible.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Miracle on Manchester." Kings down 5-0 to the Edmonton Gretzkys going into the 3rd. Tie it with seconds to go, then win it in overtime. That whole series was damn special.

USC's 18-17 win at Wazzu when Marinovich led the Trojans 91 yards in the final two minutes for the go-ahead score. Breathtaking drive.

Lots of Dodgers games, including Game 1 of 1988.

Lots of Lakers games, including being at the title-clinching games in '87 and '88.

Eric Dickerson's 248 against Dallas in the playoffs.

There are many more.

Edit: Game 7 of the '91 World Series. Rookie Smoltz against the ol' war horse Jack Morris. My favorite non-Dodger baseball game.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Joe Carter's home run in '93.

Gretzky to Lemieux in the '87 Canada Cup.

The entire 10th inning of Game Six.

And although it was just a regular season game, one of my all-time favourite hockey highlights:

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Bluegrass Miracle hail mary in the 2002 LSU-Kentucky game. The few days after it happened I must have seen it 100 times and it brought a goofy, giddy smile to my face every time. It still does.

Also, Derek Redmond at the 1992 Olympics. British sprinter pulls a hammy halfway through the 400 meter semifinals. He gets up and starts hopping toward the finish line, and with about 100 meters to go his dad comes charging out of the stands to help him. They limp the rest of the way together.
    I watched it a few times trying to find the YouTube clip, and let's just say it's pretty damn dusty in the house right now. If that doesn't choke you up, you're not human.

11. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

That's really sweet. (And pretty amazing that someone can run out of the stands at an Olympics and onto the field and not get shot.)
    Reminds me of that Garth Brooks video with the Downs kid running track.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Aaron Boone.

Draft saved Draft deleted