1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best skewering of Bowden I've read

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Sep 25, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Denver Post's Henderson did this story (FSU plays Colorado Saturday)

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_10541587

And this response, which is long, but I think brilliant in capturing the situation at FSU:

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2008/9/24/620924/hey-bobby-don-t-forget-the

Bowden's quote about accepting mediocrity would seem disturbing to any FSU fan. Wonder what the FSU president and AD think about it?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Will read it later, but I don't think Bowden has been the same since the tragedy in his family. Not sure winning and losing mean so much anymore, and coaching football is all he knows, so you can understand why he wouldn't just be able to walk away.

3. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I'm just curious, about how many skewerings of Bobby Bowden have you read?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In the last five years? A ton. You need to google more.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I didn't really read that as a "skewering" per se. I just thought it told you where Bobby Bowden was in his life and career and how he got to that point. That is neither an endorsement nor a skewering.

A good read though.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. The most impressive thing to me was that Henderson didn't really skewer Bowden as much as he let Bowden hang himself.

Then, he listed reasons why FSU is falling. Really well done.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

It laid out the situation without an easy old-man-can't-hang angle. He's OK with OK, and while that's not a crime, it wouldn't (and doesn't) sit well with the choppers.

8. That quote just might be the rope that hangs old Bobby. Mediocrity is not something FSU fans are okay with, even if Bobby is.

But hey, he doesn't even know what's going on half the time.

9. apseloser

apseloser Member

Sorry, what exactly is remarkable about this story? The I-AA quote is old and any story that has a first sentence that includes "xxxx Nation" better get better in a hurry. This didn't.

Read Bianchi. Or Shelton. There are no must reads in freakin Denver.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

It's a good read, even if it breaks your sacred "xxxx Nation" rule.

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I don't doubt skewerings of Bobby Bowden exist. But without actively seeking one out, this is the only one I've ever seen. Not everybody cares about Bobby Bowden.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Bowden's mediocrity quote has got the boosters pretty angry. They're not quite sure what they can do about it, but his approval rating with the big money boys (who kept him propped up all these years) is in Congress territory.

Draft saved Draft deleted