1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best SID ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by longgone, Aug 27, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Suck up....

In the sub-BCS division, I would be happy to nominate Jim Streeter of Eastern Michigan, whose had to deal with clowns in the media (Present and accounted for) and fools in the administration for most of his career. He's always done a lot working with a little.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

God damnit, slappy. I was finally going to be able to post an original thought on this board and you fucking stole my opportunity. Hell, Streeter should be recognized for the recent football coaches he's had to deal with.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

amen

4. Not as beloved as Felton, but Dave Plati should be on this list as well.

5. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Another vote for Felton.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Claude, Bud Ford and Langston Rogers are three guys who still understand the importance of the personal touch.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed dealing with Mississippi State's guys, Mike Nemeth and Joe Dier. Very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sadly, they are part of a dying breed.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

But not totally dead.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The difference between SIDs 10 years ago compared to now is staggering...

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it reflects the change in ADs over the last 15 years.

ADs used to be former coaches or people who grew up in athletics and understood the benefit of having a high-quality guy on staff who could promote your program by building relationships through the media.

The new generation of AD sees a sports information department as a cost center because it doesn't raise money and, as a result, won't invest in it. The good people leave and they're replaced by younger less experienced people who are too overworked to do the little things.

And now that I've just read what I wrote, I could be talking about the newspaper business.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Times have changed.

Draft saved Draft deleted