1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best shortstops of all time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BRoth, Jun 28, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Interesting.. Larkin and Visquel, but no Alan Trammell.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't know about "the best players of all time" thing, but he is clearly going to go down as one of the best shortstops ever. Career .313 hitter, already at 2250 hits (he passed Dimaggio on the all-time Yankees hits list; if he keeps this up, he is well past 3,000 hits). Given the intangibles (said to tweak the people who can't stand him), he will clearly go down in a class with Ripken, who was as much intangibles as numbers. Omar Vizquel has been a wonderful player, but anyone who thinks when all is said in done that players like Omar Vizquel will belong in the same conversation as Jeter hasn't watched their careers with an unbiased eye.

3. boots

boots New Member

Larry Bowa. If I'm not mistaken he still has the career fielding average. I know he had it when he left the game.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

There is no statistic in all of sports more significant than career fielding percentage.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What about game-by-game fielding percentage? Who holds the current record?

6. Mighty_Wingman

Somebody get Stats Inc. on the phone.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i loved bowa as a player, but offensively he stunk and his fielding percentage was skewed by playing on turf.

and he'd laugh if he knew he was even being discussed in a debate about best shortstops ever with regards to jeter.

gosh, i know how much bile there is about jeter being overrated, but get a grip, people.

8. Mighty_Wingman

You know more about baseball than me, bw. But surely fielding isn't equally as important as hitting, right?

9. Guy_Incognito

Has Rey Ordonez been out of baseball 5 years yet, or do we need to wait another year for Cooperstown?

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't have a clue. Honestly.

But if not 50/50, then at least 45/55, no? You can't win if you don't score any runs. But you can't lose if you don't give up any. Why wouldn't it be close to equal ... at worst?

Hitting's just a lot easier to measure. You KNOW how many runs one home run counts as. But you can't easily measure how many runs that two diving catches saves.

11. Mighty_Wingman

But the difference between a mediocre fielder and a superb, all-time great fielder is...what? Couple dozen chances a season, only, say, 30 percent of which eventually turn into runs allowed? (I'm totally guessing, but it really can't be that much.)

But the difference between a mediocre hitter and a great hitter is dozens of runs scored and/or driven in.

12. Guy_Incognito

Buck- I'm stunned that you're on this side of the argument. You sound like Sterling & Waldman explaining why the Yanks were right to play Dougie M. & Cairo at 1st, because they save more runs with their gloves than they give away with their bats.

Sorry, cheap shot. But it was the first thing I thought of.

Draft saved Draft deleted