1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best scenes/skits - SNL history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Feb 28, 2008.

1. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

"Keef, that's not even the King's English! That's like Esperanto or a language twins teach each other!"

I'm also a huge fan of "Wells Fargo presents Al Pacino Checks His Bank Balance," one, because Bill Hader is my new favorite cast member and, two, because it offers the line "The sleepy store won't take my debit card 'cause it's actin' stupid!"

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Chris Farley doing his interviews with Scorsese and McCartney.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Considering Dick Ebersol basically held a gun to Lorne Michaels' head when it came to firing Norm MacDonald, it's really surprising that the writers and talent who participated in the sketch kept their jobs.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

"That's got to be disappointing for the big Russian!"

The part that always kills me about the All-Drug Olympics is when Nealon is listing all the drugs the Russian is on, ending with "... and some sort of fish paralyzer. Also, I believe he's had several cocktails."

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Beat me to it.

"If you have a dollar, we can give you 10 dimes. Or five dimes and 10 nickels."

Also Hartman as the anal retentive chef. And I laughed so hard at Jap Anus relations I fell out of bed.

And of course Norm's great lines on Weekend Update. "The number one album in America this week is Kenny G's Miracles. Happy birthday Jesus. Hope you like crap!"

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

That's the funniest thing Jimmy Fallon did on SNL. Try as he might have, he couldn't get Timberlake to follow his lead and crack up/ruin a skit. And the theme song is hysterical.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh and three pages without a mention of Schmitt's Gay? Fail!

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The only funny thing Horatio Sanz ever did was play Aaron Neville on the Judge Neville show and spend the whole time singing for cocoa butter.

As far as weekend update moments, Dennis Miller might have had the best in an episode around thanksgiving in the late 80's early nineties...

a turkey pops up randomly, Miller goes "gobble, gobble, gobble"... gag repeats for a few other subjects, then Pete Rose pops up.. "gamble, gamble gamble"

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Mel's Char Palace --"You stun it! You gun it! You cut your own steak!"

Farley skating with Nancy Kerrigan

And for my money possibly the greatest of all time: Martin Short and Harry Shearer as brothers trying to get into the Olympics as a men's synchronized swimming team.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

"Ring Toss, Beldar!!!"

Also, the skit where Phil Hartman was a "secretly brilliant" Reagan who had to switch back to being a kindly old doofus when a girl scout visited the oval office, that was pretty strong.

Also, "Mr. Richard Fader, of Fort Lee, New Jersey, asks, Roseanne Roseannadana ... "

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

How about Swayze's Hans and Franz sketch? Oh, the homoeroticism.
    The guys' party with inflatable dates, with Dennis Hopper crying out, "You popped my girl!"
    The Christmas show with Steve Martin, the whole cast, and much of the crew promising not to phone it in (best line from Lorne Michaels, getting a manicure: "Relax, Steve. The show's on autopilot").
    John Cleese performing Monty Python's dead parrot sketch - my generation's Who's on First.
    Almost three pages, and no Shatner's "Get a life"?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Good point.

Also, Tom Hanks and Jon Lovitz as the pick-up artists at their high school reunion.

"Helloooooo .... and good bye."

"She caught the shine on my forehead and kept on going."

"We didn't have it then, and we don't have it now."

Draft saved Draft deleted