1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Rock Albums of the Year

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Dec 19, 2007.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

The fact that Foo Fighters and The White Stripes aren't on it make the list null and void for me.

I'd put The Shins new album in the Top 10 too.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agree with all that, but the AP did get one thing right -- Radiohead at No. 1. Great CD from top to bottom.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Ryan Adams' Easy Tiger would also make my Top 10 of 2007.

4. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Cex Cells by Blaqk Audio.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I'm glad this thread lasted long enough for all the people to jump on and talk about how much they hate the point of the thread. That's a true sign of longevity.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Quite the contrary. The point of the thread is to agree or disagree with AP's selections. No one's hated on that yet.

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

That AP list really missed the boat by not including "Neon Bible" by Arcade Fire, "Sound of Silver" by LCD Soundsystem, "Wincing the Night Away" by the Shins and "Beyond" by Dinosaur Jr. "Neon Bible" was the best album to come out in a couple of years.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Turbonegro's Retox is a great album I have yet to see mentioned.

Blut Aus Nord's Odinist is pretty solid as well.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

OK, every time I read one of these current music threads, I think, "Where the fuck does this music come from?" I listen to plenty of different music, but I never seem to come across the popular music of the day. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing. I guess, if in 20 years, this stuff is the equivalent of the '80s music of my youth, then I ain't missing nothin'.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Look at the title. "Best Rock Albums of the Year." If you join in and talk about how much rock albums of the year sucked, with no other additional thought, what exactly is the contribution?

11. No Southern Culture On The Skids?
    Lame.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Here's a thought...

Instead of griping that (insert mainstream rock band here) isn't represented, and complaining that you haven't heard of the bands that were listed... how about checking out the bands in the top 10?

I hadn't heard a few of the bands, so I just checked them out on eMusic. Know what? They're pretty damn good. I'll end up downloading a few, including Panda Bear and Menomena. It's interesting stuff.

That isn't what my top 10 list would look like -- among other things, I think Amy Winehouse is pretty overrated -- but it's a solid list.

Draft saved Draft deleted