1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Rock Albums of the Year

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Dec 19, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

1. All of those bands seem like they are of the candy-ass, emo-shit variety. There isn't a pair of balls between all 10 of them.

2. Where in the blue-blazing-fuck are the following: Foo Fighters, Bruce Springsteen, Linkin Park. You know, bands that actually pour their hearts into their music.

God, I lament the death of true rock music.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Can I vote None of the Above? Most new music sucks.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I second that one, Doc.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My favorite album this year is Motion City Soundtrack's "Even If It Kills Me."

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Been listening to that a lot lately and really like it. Not my favorite by a long shot but good. Jimmy Eat World's new one is also very good.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I haven't heard that one yet, though a friend of mine really digs it. I just listened to "Futures" this morning.

I don't buy a whole lot of new music. I usually wait until I can grab it off Amazon a few months later, and I'll have my brother download it for me until I can buy a copy. I'm a big Motion City fan, so I made an exception for that one and got it on Sept. 18, the day it was released.

What's the JEW album like, compared to their other albums?

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Hmm, I don't know what I'd compare it to. It much more resembles "Futures" (which i love) than their early stuff like "A Praise Chorus." Oh, and Motion City played a free concert on my school's quad during the last day of school last year. I was in London, though, so I missed it.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I like "Futures" a lot. Tons of variety.

I've seen Motion City three times now -- twice at Warped Tour a couple years ago; the only time I step foot in New Jersey -- and once a few weeks ago about two blocks from my office. They're a very good show ... lots of energy, very entertaining, funny and well worth a $26 ticket. And they're usually got some good opening bands, from what I've seen on previous tours. They played with Metro Station, Mae and AnBerlin the last time I saw them.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I liked Mae's first two albums but the one they just released wasn't very good. I've heard good things about Motion City in concert.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've seen Mae twice, and they bored the crap out of me. They opened for Something Corporate a few years ago, and it was the first time I heard them. They didn't pull me in then, and they were my least favorite of the four I saw a few weeks ago.

I've never heard their studio stuff, and I'm assuming it's world's better than their live act.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Probably. A band that was really good live was Brand New if you like any of their stuff. The band that I would love to see live is Hot Hot Heat because their music has a ton of emotion and I think it'd be really good live.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I began listening to Brand New by chance in 2001. I was downloading stuff off Kazaa (remember that?) and thought, "Brand New? That sounds like a punk band. Why not?" The first song I heard was "Seventy time 7," and I was hooked. I've saw them the day after they released "Deja Etendu" and again the next summer. They are stellar.

I haven't heard a thing about Hot Hot Heat -- live or studio.

Draft saved Draft deleted