1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best RIP song

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Aug 16, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Whiskey Lullaby, Paisley/Krauss
    Little Bonnie, DBT
    Danko/Manuel, DBT
    Dress Blues, Jason Isbell
    Tecumseh Valley, Townes Van Zandt
    Needle & The Damage Done, Neil Young
    Tonight's The Night, Neil Young
    Under The Bridge, RHCP
    Keep Me In Your Heart, Warren Zevon (this is a song he did write about himself, shortly before he died of cancer)

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"Love is Strong than Death" - The The
    "Death is Not the End" - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, via Bob Dylan

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Borrowed Time," John Lennon
    "Walking On Thin Ice," Yoko Ono
    "Here Today," Paul McCartney
    "All Those Years Ago," George Harrison (w. McCartney and Ringo Starr)
    "Free as a Bird"/"Real Love," the Beatles (1995)

"Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)," Elton John
    "Edge of Seventeen," Stevie Nicks (based partially on Ono's "Thin Ice")

"The Late Great Johnny Ace," Paul Simon

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

"Time of Your Life" by Green Day, though I don't think it was written with death in mind.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own-U2 (written about Bono's late father)
    Running for Home, Matthew Good Band

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Some Fantastic Place" - Squeeze (Difford wrote it about the death of Tilbrook's former girlfriend)
    "She Goes On" - Crowded House (And much of their last album "Time On Earth" deals with the suicide of drummer Paul Hester, including "Pour Le Monde" and "She Called Up")
    "Long May You Run" - Neil Young (K, technically I think this is about a car, but I listened to it when my dog was dying of cancer and pretty well lost it)
    "Diamond Smiles" - The Boomtown Rats
    "Late" - Ben Folds (about Elliott Smith)
    "Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife" - Drive-by Truckers
    "Marie Provost" - Nick Lowe (She was the winner that became the doggy's dinner...")

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really like that one.

I'll contribute the Grateful Dead covering Rev. Gary Davis' "Death Don't Have No Mercy." Two of the vocalists on this clip (Jerry Garcia and Brent Mydland) are dead now. Hot Tuna also covered the song (acoustic on its first album) and I saw that band perform a blistering electric version, dedicated to Jerry Garcia, very shortly after his death.

Hot Tuna's guitarist, Jorma Kaukonen, covers another Davis tune about death, "Banks of the River," on a solo album in the 1990s, "Land of Heroes." His version is bouncier and more upbeat than the original, and he tweaked the lyrics, too (improved them, IMO). The gist of the original and the cover version is the singer's saying he's going to a better place where there's no sickness and he gets to see family that's gone before him. Can't find a clip of the Kaukonen version, but I have the CD and told my wife years ago that's the song I want played at my funeral.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Seconded on Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife. That's one of my favorite songs period. Also Shine On by Jet, written after the death of the lead singer's dad.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I left "Two Daughters" off my list because is seems anything but peaceful. Great song, but it gives me a different feeling than many of the RIP/death songs I listen to.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Great song, MM.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good pick.

I've often said I want "Ripple" played at my wake.

Draft saved Draft deleted