1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best quarterback in football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BrianGriffin, Jan 23, 2012.

?

Whos the best quarterback in the NFL right now?

1. Tom Brady

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. Drew Brees

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Aaron Rodgers

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Is this thread limited to the best QB's in football only?

2. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I still think Peyton is the best. Give that man Eli's defense and he's got 3 or 4 rings. The only year he had a decent defense they destroyed the world.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Give Peyton a decent coach and I think he'd have three rings.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think people don't stop to think about how difficult it is to win NFL games, let alone playoff games. Just think about all that had to happen yesterday for the two teams to win. Billy Cundiff misses a 32-yard field goal right after a receiver drops the winning touchdown pass that was about a fraction of a second away from counting as a catch. Kyle Williams muffs one punt by an eye lash, then fumbles another one. Otherwise, maybe we're talking about Alex Smith today. The back-up punt returner, instead, altered Alex Smith's legacy.

Quarterbacks are judged way too harshly (or benevolently) on Super Bowl victories, much like college basketball coaches are judged too much on NCAA Tournament championships or Final Four appearances. That shit is hard, and luck plays a not insignificant role.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Guilty as charged.

But I do think when you look at these three - and with Peyton, four - elite QBs, you are splitting hairs, so something like winning these close and at times seemingly randomly decided NFL playoff games might be what separates one from the other.

6. Mizzougrad96

Right now? I'd take Rodgers.

Based on careers of the active guys, it's Peyton.

Right now
    1. Rodgers
    2. Brady
    3. Brees
    4. Roethlisberger
    5. Eli
    6. Rivers

Obviously Peyton makes that list if he's healthy and I don't think we can put Newton there yet based on one season.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I didn't mean this to be a lifetime achievement award. I meant it to be for what they are right now.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but with a legit backup QB, the Colts couldn't have gutlessly tanked the season.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Where's Alex? Did I miss him in your list?

10. Mizzougrad96

He's throwing the ball out of bounds. :D

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My list, giving everyone full health but leaving off Peyton Manning because we have no idea what condition he's in:

1. Aaron Rodgers
    2. Drew Brees
    3. Tom Brady
    4. Ben Roethlisberger
    5. Eli Manning
    6. Matthew Stafford
    7. Michael Vick
    8. Matt Ryan
    9. Philip Rivers
    10. Tony Romo / Jay Cutler tie

Based on career accomplishments:

1. Peyton Manning
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Drew Brees
    4. Ben Roethlisberger
    5. Donovan McNabb
    6. Eli Manning
    7. Aaron Rodgers
    8. Matt Hasselbeck
    9. Michael Vick
    10. Philip Rivers

Eli Manning and Rodgers will surely pass McNabb barring injuries. I think McNabb should get Hall of Fame consideration, but I don't think he'll ultimately make it.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Schaub is better than at least three of the people on your current list (Vick, Ryan and Romo) and is less mistake-prone for the time being which makes him better than Stafford too. With him they were fighting for a first-round bye.

Draft saved Draft deleted