1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best player to never win NFL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't get when people say this. He had better statistical seasons the year before and the year after, and it's not as though that Ravens team was a juggernaut at 12-4. You could make a pretty reasonable argument 2003 was Lewis' best regular season.

Reggie White in 1987 had 18 sacks, 133 tackles and a 70-yard fumble return for a touchdown for an Eagles team that went 10-6 because of its defense.

Bruce Smith in 1990 had 19 sacks, 101 tackles and four forced fumbles for a team that went 13-3, and Joe Montana won despite a below-average season for him, statistically (though the 49ers went 14-1 with him under center).

That same season, Derrick Thomas had 20 sacks and six forced fumbles for the 11-5 Chiefs.

Ed Reed in 2008 had nine interceptions, three defensive touchdowns and led an 11-5 Ravens team.

Ultimately, quarterbacks are more valuable than other positions.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's why Lynn Dickey is the correct answer to this question.

3. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

"Let's get ... to the point; let's rollllllll ... another joiiiinnnnntttttt ... "

Damn, I've been absolutely cyber-slayed over some of my opinions on SportsJournalists.com, notably regarding the NBA, but never have been told to go EFF myself. Geez! Anyway, this thread is advancing from best player never ... to there is more than one answer; and there are some good arguments for a few dudes. I say keep 'em coming.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Riggins.

At least in the DC area.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Longest shortest thread ever.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

when tom petty is the voice of reason, you know it's one fucked up thread!

Draft saved Draft deleted