1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best player to never win NFL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

This debate popped into my head today when I saw Brees has his second straight 5,000 yard, 40 TD season. Only Marino (1984) and Stafford (2011) have done it.

Anyways, Brees won't win it this year, and shouldn't, and thus will still be without one. He has three of the leagues six 5,000 passing yard seasons, this season will be the the fourth time in the past five seasons he has lead the league in touchdowns and he led the Saints to double-digit wins the last three seasons prior to this one.

Kind of crazy that a Super bowl winning quarterback breaks the passing yards record, pass completion record, leads the league with 46 touchdowns and goes 13-3 and yet doesn't win the MVP.

I honestly can't think of a better player who hasn't won the award. Just curious some of the other names out there.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Since Jerry Rice is the best player to ever play and he never won the MVP, I'm going to say Jerry Rice.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

shortest. thread. ever.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Least debatable debate question ever.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

There are plenty of threads that never get a reply. Come on now.

6. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Mark Moseley and Dan Marino have the same number of MVP trophies.
    That alone bespeaks that the award is a joke.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dickerson?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. LongTimeListener

Do you honestly believe Eric Dickerson was a better player than Jerry Rice? Or is this just the grand SJ tradition of "let's ignore the question and name a bunch of people who were also good"?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So the year he rushes for 2,105 yards and destroys the Cowboys in the wild card (248 yards) isn't worthy of MVP?

Yeah, I think you have a good point there.

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Dickerson ran through the Cowboys at silent movie speed the year after he broke the record.
    Also the year he was a holdout until Week 3 or 4.

12. LongTimeListener

Best player. Not best season. That season happened to be Marino's 5,084/48 too.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted