1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Pink Floyd album ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Dark Side of the Moon' has to be considered the best, I guess.
    I just don't know if it's my favorite.

I was obsessive about Pink Floyd when I was a kid.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

OK, who's done this?

[​IMG]

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Much like punk, if there are purity tests to being considered a real fan I'd rather just enjoy the music and laugh at that group's fanbase. I own and enjoy almost every Springsteen album. Nebraska is my favorite. If that means I'm a non-Springsteen fan who likes Springsteen I'm okay with not getting the secret decoder ring and letterman's jacket.

And Atlantic City and Mansion on the Hill own almost everything else he's written.

It's like saying you can only be a fan of eggs if they're scrambled. Even though eggs can be made a dozen ways, there's something inherently eggy about scrambled eggs. Like them Benedict, you're a traitor...

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My phrasing was poor. If you think of Nebraska as the definitive Bruce Springsteen album, then you probably aren't a fan. That makes more sense, right?

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Another vote for Wish You Were Here. Both parts of Shine On, I often forget they are both over 10 minutes because the guitar play is so effing brilliant.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I kind of agree about The Wall being the gateway. The first Pink Floyd song I heard was "Another Brick in the Wall Part II" but I loved it when I was younger (still think it's great) but it got me interested in better albums like Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here.

I liked Momentary Lapse of Reason as well, but it's not on the level of Wish or Dark Side...

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1. Wish You Were Here
    2. Dark Side of the Moon
    3. Animals
    4. The Wall
    (tie for last place) Everything else.

I feel the same way about "Dogs" off Animals.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's something about the radio entry of the album version of Wish You Were Here that I always loved...

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I can't judge this topic rationally because I was a teenager in the 70's and "Dark Side of the Moon" is indelibly linked to making out in someone's basement in high school. This thread came to mind though when I saw this on Facebook today ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Gilmour's solo (performed with high-strung guitar) in Comfortably Numb is among of the greatest in rock history and the thrill of seeing him play it on top of the wall is in my Top 1 concert moments.

Mother was very good, as was Young Lust. Goodbye Blue Sky was both simple and powerful. And Another Brick in the Wall Part II became an anthem for school kids.

There was plenty to like about The Wall. It didn't quite reach the greatness of the previous several Pink Floyd albums.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Popular in the 1970s:

[​IMG]

Popular now:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Win looks like a little makeup away Walking Dead zombie extra in that picture.

Draft saved Draft deleted