1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Pink Floyd album ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Go!

I vote for Wish You Were Here. All songs are great but Welcome To The Machine. Shine On You Crazy Diamond is hypnotic as shit. Tied together by heartfelt tribute to Syd Barrett.

What say you?

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I went through a phase where Dark Side of the Moon was really important to me. I was 13. But I suppose it would still be my pick, if only for that sentimental reason.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Wish You Were Here.
    The Wall would probably be 2, and Dark Side at 3.

Nighttime driving and listening to Shine on......doesn't get much better than that.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Animals for me. Side 1 with its Pigs on the Wing into followed by 17 minutes of Dogs was one of the great album sides in an era when people listened to album sides.

That said, I could also make cases for The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Going to go with Dark Side....

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I own The Wall, but I can't make a case for it. I hate the woe-is-me sentiment in the central theme of the concept. Roger Waters at his whiniest. Several songs are way over-wrought and over-produced. Comfortably Numb is the only truly great song ... and that's thanks to David Gilmour.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Meddle was underrated. I find everything after Wish You Were Here to be a bit too navel-gazing even for a band that was intentionally navel-gazing from the start. But I fully understand the appeal, particularly of Animals.

It's also always fun when a contrarian tries to argue Piper at the Gates of Dawn was the best. That's akin to arguing Nebraska as Bruce Springsteen's best: It means you're not a fan. Besides, there were better psychadelic pop rock bands. There wasn't a better progressive rock band.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

As an album, Dark Side.

As a song, Fearless is probably my favorite off Meddle.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Dark Side is clearly one of the best studio achievements in rock history.

My favorite is Animals though. For some reason, I highly dislike Wish You Were Here.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Spot on, Chef. Animals would be No. 4. Wish You Were Here is a masterpiece.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Agree with gator that fearless was a great song.

Draft saved Draft deleted