1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best one of the Month

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

You should demand her to pay you hard cash if she is demanding you to put it in the paper.

Tit for tat you know....

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I got a H.S. AD come up to me today after I interviewed her swim coach about how surprising was it that the team was dominating the meet.

She comes up to me and wonders why I would ask those questions because the kids overheard me and thinks I don't think they're good enough. Well, I have really no real idea how good they are since meets aren't covered until the region championship.

Maybe I should of replied by asking how surprised was she at hiring a horrible coach a few months back that quit after one year.

3. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Too bad none of us get to cover orphanage athletics

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Got two calls reminding our news desk that Ron Paul was No. 2 in the Nevada primary. We said thanks for the info, we'll get right on it.

I don't know what that man has promised these people, but boy do they love him.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the beauty of this is pal said the "lady" was the kid's sister. the little demander probably is 16 or so.

6. Best one I ever got about one of these "demanders" was when I was working news side. A woman who called with the information for some local charity event and proceeded to read me her news release word for word. So I wrote down the pertinent information. When she finished she said, "Now read that back to me."

I said, "Uh, ma'am, I've got the facts, I'll put it in our own style."
    "But I want it like I wrote it."
    "Then you need to either buy an ad or publish your own newspaper."

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I felt that way Saturday morning.

We're short-handed this week _ one of my part-time guys has been off because of the death of his mother. So we had to rearrange the schedule to make sure we had everything covered in the office every night, and that meant dropping coverage of a couple of prep games.

Of course, in one of the games we drop, some kid goes for 35 points and his team pulls off a slight upset. Mom sends in an e-mail just bitching up a storm, saying how we snub all of the out-of-town schools (in her school district, we sell all of 25 papers).

I explain the situation to her, telling her that we were covering her son's school last night, plus Tuesday night. I also said this, "I don't have a crystal ball that predicts who is going to have a big game and who is going to pull off an upset."

So we cover her son's game last night. They lose. Today I get a voicemail from an anonymous male caller, "Oh sure, you cover us when we lose."

The coach of the team, who whines about the officiating or makes some excuse every time his team loses, made some snide remark last night to my writer covering the game.

Class acts, all of them. Maybe if they were worried more about the game last night instead of our coverage, they wouldn't have gotten lit up by 17 points.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I do not let angry mothers within five feet of my sack or the rest of me. Lips are far too close to teeth, which are connected to jaws. I avoid them both literally and metaphorically.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

"Then you need to either buy an ad or publish your own newspaper."

publish your own newspaper ... publish your own newspaper. god that was solid.

10. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I believe this person sent me an email yesterday as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted