1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best on air mistake ever?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 1, 2009.

1. sg86

sg86 Member

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My station actually shot a story today about a man who climbed Kilimanjaro.. and, he's blind!

That clip was all I could think of.

3. highlander

highlander Member

This isn't on air but I thought it was funny.

Once a competing newspaper was running full photo pages based on a different color. Photo of yellow or blue things. With huge headline of the color. Well one day the color is red. Fire trucks, hydrants, roses. Only problem was the page had no color. Two or three issues later, they ran the same page in full color.

4. I cannot verify this story's accuracy. It supposedly happened during the broadcast of a high school football game.
    The story goes:

pbp: There are only 2 ticks left on the cock.
    color: There's not much time left, either.

5. highlander

highlander Member

Heard something similar one night driving back to the office. Caught another high school football game on the radio.

PBP: The Lions are really trying to win this game.

Are they supposed to be trying to lose it?

6. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Anyone remember "Two Dicks...Wow!"?
    During a Bears-Jaguars broadcast in 2001 or so, the female sideline reporter (Bonnie Bernstein perhaps? Or maybe Lesley Visser) interviewed Bears coach Dick Jauron after getting the cue from the NBC broadcaster Dick Enberg.

It went something like this:

Dick Enberg: We now go to Bonnie Bernstein with Dick Jauron...
    Bernstein: Thanks Dick (turns to Jauron). Well, Dick...two Dicks?...Wow!

I can't seem to find that clip anywhere on youtube...but it definitely happened because the local radio station 670 the score had that little soundbite for the rest of the year.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Made quite a community splash when it happened, too.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

About 15 years ago, Harry Caray & Steve Stone killing time during a rain delay, talking about how effective Dennis Eckersley has been ...

Steve: "And Eckersley hasn't been blowing anybody recently" (realized it pretty quickly and tried to cover his tracks).

Caray was completely clueless.

9. www.failblog.org

10. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

He spent most of the final years of his career like that! At least the whole time I watched Cubs games starting in the late 80's

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bert Blyleven's F-bomb when he screwed up a live intro, followed by his realization that it was live is still epic.

12. Chuck McGill

Chuck McGill New Member

My favorite:

Draft saved Draft deleted