1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best of the Masters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yup, completely. How many people thought on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving that Tiger too was a family man? Sure, he was guarded, but he talked glowingly about his wife, his life and his kids. How can anyone say for sure that Phil Mickelson isn't a sleaze? That he isn't cheating on his wife while she's going through breast cancer treatment.

If anyone here knows that, please break the news. Because I sure don't.

One of the things I've learned from all of this is that you have to suspect everyone and suspect no one at the same time.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The way she ends that story:

Amy was asked if this week's experience has made her a believer in karma. She tried to answer. She choked back a word. She closed her eyes. She took a deep breath. She put her hand to her mouth.

The words wouldn't come.

They didn't have to.

... is different than the way Steve Elling from CBSsports.com heard it:

... I put forth the question that made her go into emotional shutdown. Do you believe in karma?

"You know, I am a believer in a lot of things right now," she said before the magnitude of the moment washed over her and she was whisked away to the family celebration in the famed Butler Cabin.

Eh... not a big deal.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To be fair, could have been two different times. The questions were probably coming up quite a bit in the chaos around the 18th green and Butler Cabin Sunday.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed, it screams for this ... but I think the good guy vs. bad guy angle is all wrong. As has been pointed out, a media that was bashing Mickleson the day before is treating him like the new virgin queen after beating the big badass Woods. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Let's give Mickelson the credit he's due outside of Tiger's inability to keep it zipped.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Who was bashing Phil the day before?

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

93Devil? ;)

7. HanSenSE

Mea culpa, bad choice of word ... just the usual "will Mickelson choke again" stuff that always arises when he's on top in a major. that, too, gets old. Or maybe too many people were wishing for the Tiger coming back story line to play out in a win to not see what ws happening.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nothing I read going into Sunday mentond Phil choking. It was all settting up the wonderful story it would be if he won and speculating about Tiger making a move.
    In fact, I did not read a single negative word about Phil all week -- except in 93devil's posts.

9. HanSenSE

I hereby stand corrected.

Still not a fan of having to tear down Woods to boost Phil, though. Just lazy journalism, especially with the wondeful golf played over the weekend.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agreed about tearing down Tiger, who played very well
    Why can't it just be Mickelson played great golf and won his 3rd Masters.

11. HanSenSE

And thanks for the help, you and the rest of the SportsJournalists.com family. Been trying to work out an item on this for this week's column and feel my facts are a little more organized, now.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The funnest result would have been an O'Meara victory; I would hope a reporter or two would ask what he knew, when he knew it and how many he knew of regarding his best golfing friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted