1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best of the Masters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Apr 12, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure he spread a few c-notes around. Have heard many stories about him doing that.

ducibej, I think the champion can have his green jacket off the grounds for a year. I remember Mike Weir wearing his new jacket and dropping a puck at an NHL game.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Rosie?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correct. One year as the champion off the grounds.

4. ducibej

ducibej New Member

thanks guys

5. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Gary Player is the only champion to have a jacket permanently off premises. He kept his 1961 jacket. Augusta National asks him to return it every year, he always says come and find it. Drove Clifford Roberts crazy.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Friend of mine in the Jax media told me that after winning the 2007 Players Championship, Phil took 12 family and friends to local Ruth's Chris. Tab was $3,000. He tipped $1,000.

From what I hear about Tiger, he might have not tipped, then scarfed a handful of mints at the door.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Must have been why Roberts killed himself on the par-3 course.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

By the way, a threadjack, but the best tipping story of all time (from bio of Sinatra, "The Way your Wear Your Hat:"

Sinatra valet parks at this joint in Chicago. Comes out hours later to get his car. Kid gets it, hands him the keys. Sinatra pulls out a wad and asks the kid, "what's the biggest tip you ever got?" Kid says $100. Sinatra lays two C-notes on him, then says, "who gave you that $100 tip, kid?" Valet replies: "You did sir, six months ago."

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This exact story is in the Babe Ruth movie that William Bendix starred in.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't make it up. I cited the book.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Babe and Sinatra only went to places that could be described as a "joint" so it seems entirely plausible.

Draft saved Draft deleted