1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best non urban areas in Pennsylvania to visit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 25, 2013.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Maybe we need to consider Ohio. Anyone been to Ashtabula? :D

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

No, Pennsylvania has plenty. It's a good state for tourism. Just get below the northern tier.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great little ballpark in Erie attached to the Tullio Arena (or whatever the hell it is called these days), home of the Erie Otters. I have some contacts with the Otters who might be able to come up with some good ideas of things to do and places to go in the area.

4. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

Live in central PA now, plenty of places to visit, though I think most have been mentioned now. Second the visits to Lancaster and Gettysburg.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

See beautiful Lawrence County in Western Pa. Abandoned strip mines. Towns frozen in 1950. And lots of meth. George Romero filmed parts of Night of the Living Dead there.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Au contraire.

Philadelphia is the fetid anus of Pennsylvania. It should be moved to New Jersey.

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

The best thing to do in Erie? Leave, no doubt.

That said, the Mercyhurst campus is gorgeous, an oasis in a shithole.

If Erie is on the docket, perhaps the title should be Best Non Urban Places in PA to Get Your Ass Kicked.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The thing I loved about Gettysburg is how visual the battlefield is.
    You can stand on the Confederate side, look across to the ridge, and see just how much ground those poor bastards had to cover. You can climb the last hill they had to go up to get to the Union positions and see the cannons staring down at you, and realize just how fruitless Pickett's Charge really was.
    On the other side, you can stand on the ridges where the Union positions were and imagine hundreds of Confederate soldiers picking their way through the trees on the Tops. You can see the whole expanse of the thing, and pick out landmarks. You can see how open the ground was that the Rebels had to cross on the final day and feel the safety of the high ground.
    It's like looking at a map in a history book. You get a great overview of the battlefield and where, how and why important things happened the way they did. It's a unique experience.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's not fair to Alabama.
    Southern Pennsylvania is scenic farm country, but the northern half is nothing but woods and river valleys. The worst drive in America is going the length of I-80 through Pennsylvania. I once had the cruise control set at 75 for two hours -- I timed it -- and went 100 miles. Still have no idea that happened.
    Another trip, I saw a sign for Williamsport that said 39 miles. Ten miles later there was another one that said it was 42 miles.
    The old exit numbering system, where they went sequentially instead of by mile marker, didn't help. You'd be two hours into the eight-hour slog and only be at Exit 5, because there ain't a damn thing in that part of the state -- no towns, no exits, no gas stations, nothing. I'd rather drive across the barren expanse of West Texas 10 times before I drive I-80 in Pennsylvania again.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The self guided tour using the map is fantastic. Really gives you a sense of the battle
    and how much of an advantage it was for The North to occupy higher ground.

Not a big cemetery fan but walking through the one at Gettysburg is
    pretty thought provoking.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://www.fallingwater.org/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The original Quaker Steak and Lube

http://www.thelube.com/sharon_pa/

Draft saved Draft deleted