1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best non urban areas in Pennsylvania to visit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Go to State College and mention to a local that you think Joe Paterno is a real scumbag because he had to know what was going on...

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Love all the suggestions here. Only did Gettysburg once, but the expanse of the battlefield is breath taking. I think you can also download one of those driving tours via podcast, and listen as you drive through the battlefield.

Altoona's ballpark is pretty nice, but there's not much else there.

You could always grab a look at the new hockey arena being built at Penn State.

If you do Lancaster, go to Central Market if it's open and grab some Shoo Fly Pie.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pa, huh? Christ. Vacations are supposed to be fun.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Lancaster, Hershey and Gettysburg aren't too far apart. A bit of a drive.
    Hershey was the site of Wilt's 100-point game, but I don't know how interesting it is unless you're an amusement park fan.

Not too far east of Lancaster is Valley Forge, but you're getting pretty close Philly.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Nazareth is the home of Martin Guitars. I've wanted to hit that tour for a long time.
    Puts you near other great destinations like Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Poconos are great for outdoor recreation in summer. Nice golf courses, great fishing, hiking, etc. Not much on the nightlife, however.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Neat little town north of Allentown called Jim Thorpe. Used to be called Mauch Chunk, but was renamed after Thorpe's widow made some sort of financial deal with the town. Cool little Irish bar and a haunted hotel, the Inn at Jim Thorpe: http://www.innjt.com

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Buck, me too. I have a Martin D-18 from 1971 and have really wanted to tour that factory. I remember there having been a really cool display in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton airport a few years ago.

Forgot to mention the ballpark in Harrisburg; really neat riverbank setting across the river from downtown.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

That's the Nazareth, as I'm sure you know, where Robbie Robertson pulled in feeling 'bout half-past dead.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Intercourse is a must when visiting the Lancaster area.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Second on New Hope.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No love for Jim Thorpe, PA on a sports site. Cool town.

Draft saved Draft deleted