1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best NFL uniform that was abandoned.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 1, 2006.

?

If you could pick one uniform for the NFL to immediately re-activate, which would it be?

1. San Diego Chargers' poweder blues and white helmet

41 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. New England Patriots red, white and clue, with white hiking minuteman helmet

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Vermeil-era Eagles, kelly green with cream-colored band around upper arm along with white and silver

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Montana-era 49ers. Simple, dominant scarlet, gold and white with no trim at all on the uniform, exce

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. Buccaneer Bruce and Agent Orange (hey I know this ain't getting the votes... but I LOVED this unifor

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Another vote for the Orange Crush.

[​IMG]

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm a huge uniform dork so I was pleased to see this thread.  The Chiefs, I think, deserve props for keeping the red-and-yellow of AFL days, especially since I personally think winning traditions as well as esthetics should be factors in choosing to change or drop unis.  Outside of going from a gray facemask to white and making the stripes a little wider, it's still the Len Dawson look in KC.

On the original question, the new Bills and new Seahawks unis are awful.  The creamcicle thing wasn't very intimidating but I miss the old Bucs gear, just cause it's so friggin tropical, dammit.  Denver effed up with their arena-league abominations that they wear now.  I hate the current trend with side panels on the jerseys, stupid triangles down the center of the helmet instead of stripes, etc. This will be looked back on as a bad era in NFL gear, like the 70s with baseball or the 90s with the NHL.
    Dallas screwed up by going from royal to near-navy on the road jerseys and doing all kinds of weird shit with their pants.  They used to wear the same pants home and away, a bluish shade of silver-gray.  Now they wear bright silver pants on the road and hideous blue-green silver pants at home.  Looks like ass.
    I think only the Bears, Browns and Chiefs are still going with their 60s/70s-era look.  The Saints have kept the same helmet but have jacked around with the pants and jerseys a lot.

Bu the hugest eff-up award goes to the Patriots for ditching Pat the Patriot and the great red jerseys and going for a lame psuedo-Dallas look.  But worst is their logo, a freaky tadpole wearing an 18th century hat that has to be the dumbest friggin logo this side of minor league hockey.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Steelers look childish with those new Bears-style numbers

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The flying Elvis

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Whoops, forgot the Colts. They're the old school of old school.

Heh, Flying Elvis. Elvis the spermatazoa wearing a tricorner lid.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Colts have changed their shade of blue since moving to Indy, though they supposedly want to go to more of their Baltimore roots with a darker blue.

7. Pat the Patriot saw a lot of losing. Flying Elvis has been to four Super Bowls. I'd give anything to have the old Pats unis back but somehow I don't think it will happen.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I have no idea why San Diego doesn't permanently switch back to the powder blues. Gorgeous freaking unis, and so much better than the current shit they have.

And I'm a HUGE fan of the retro look for both NY teams. Great stuff.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the two new york teams did a great job with their current unis

jets and chargers (old school) are the only white helmets i like (in pro football -- college has a couple of decent white helmets)

i'll 11th or whatever the question about why the chargers don't permanently switch. those things are so badass -- especially with the numbers on the helmets -- awesome

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Gotta disagree here. I think the Chargers' current uniforms are one of the better ones in the NFL.

Also, let's qualify: The HOME 1960s uniform, with the blue shirt, looks fabulous. The road duds would be way too white -- not at a Penn State level, but still too white.

And no need to switch permanently when the fans get sufficiently excited at the two home games a year the Chargers wear the throwbacks.

In other thoughts, I'd love to see the Broncos and Patriots right their uniform wrongs, but with a combined five Super Bowl victories in them, it ain't gonna happen.

And I'll throw out another uniform: The Bartkowski-era Atlanta Falcons.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

no. i gotta go the deion era falcons. the black was better than the attempt at red & black. the new ones are awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted