1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movies of 2014

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, Dec 3, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

All that, and ScarJo gets naked. :D

2. RecoveringJournalist

I can't watch the previews for Selma without thinking, "Wow, Martin Luther King got fat."

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Finally watched Boyhood now that it's out on BluRay. I really, really enjoyed it. I don't know if I can tell people why I enjoyed it so much, other than parts of it really struck emotional chords with me. Best picture? Probably not, because so much goes into best picture other than enjoying the film. Some of the secondary acting was forced, especially with the professor's alcoholism. And you can tell Linklater's daughter is kind of over everything by the end. But it was a fantastic experience, at least from my end, and I'm glad I finally got to see it.

Nice callback from Linklater, by the way, using the convenience store clerk from Dazed and Confused as the clerk cashing the check at the liquor store.

4. RecoveringJournalist

He uses the same people a lot. I don't know why I like when directors do that, but I do.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Go find "Locke" on Netflix. Might have been made in 2013 but hit a lot of the festivals in 2014. It's a story told through one guy (Tom Hardy) driving late at night and the phone calls he takes/makes while doing so. WAY better than that synopsis. I liked "Birdman" for Michael Keaton's work -- and willingness to take the role.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Locke was one of the most disappointing movies of the year.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I was a bit disappointed by Selma. I love historical movies, and I know it's really hard to have actors play a part of someone who is so recognizable to us, but I don't think the actor who played MLK had the presence or charisma that you would expect from MLK. Don't get me wrong, I realize that's a lot to ask of an actor, but he didn't do it for me.

8. Joe Williams

Good Lord, that suggests a whole bunch of hope and expectations that weren't fulfilled, not just for you personally but for audiences at large. Really? You really brought that to a movie whose premise was a guy driving for 90 minutes, making phone calls? I came to it with virtually zero advance knowledge or expectations and found it to be entertaining and worth my while.

HC likes this.
  9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. I heard a lot of positive reviews of that movie. "Hey now, just because it's just a guy driving in a car, don't be fooled! This is an excellent FILM!!! Plus, it's Tom Hardy!!"

Meh. Then again, I either rented it On Demand or at Red Box. Would've been more bitter had I paid theatre prices for it.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Certainly no popcorn flick, but I liked Locke. Maybe if he did the Bane voice it would have gained wider acceptance.

11. Joe Williams

That would have been an interesting choice, as those actors say.
    I admit, I did view the film via Netflix and only had heard of it the day before.
    But in that context, I thought Locke beat the hell out of a lot of others. Including film-school project Boyhood.

###

Draft saved Draft deleted