1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movies of 2014

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, Dec 3, 2014.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm listing Guardians and Winter Soldier on my best also, two movies that were must-see for me and didn't disappoint. Truth is, there just weren't that many movies I was fired up to see this year. I am sorry I didn't see Chef while I had the chance (it is in my Netflix queue, though), and I didn't see the Ebert doc because the nearest art-house type theater that would show it was an hour's drive away.

2. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Guardians of the Galaxy, Grand Budapest Hotel (but I'm a Wes Anderson apologist). Nothing else has really struck me, but I haven't seen Chef or Boyhood yet.

3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

The movie I enjoyed the most this year was Grand Budapest Hotel and I'm not a Wes Anderson fan.

Whiplash is the best movie I've seen this year.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

EW's top 10

1. Whiplash
    2. Boyhood
    3. Grand Budapest Hotel
    4. Life Itself
    5. Selma
    6. Guardians of the Galaxy
    7. Gone Girl
    8. Snowpiercer
    9. Birdman
    10. Jodorowsky's Dune

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Snowpiercer is either genius or the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It's been three weeks and I still can't decide. It feels like the script Ayn Rand would write if you gave her ecstacy. Which...again...I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Curious if anyone has seen some of the Christmas Day releases. I was disappointed to hear two bad reviews of The Gambler, which I'm dying to see.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's really long, but in some senses, it wasn't long enough. There wasn't as much development of certain characters as there could have been and there were times when the viewer had to fill in the blanks.

I really liked it, though.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I started a thread on it.
    I won't spoil it.
    John Goodman is brilliant.
    If Wesley Snipes had a twin brother in his previous life, he is in this movie.
    3/5 stars.

9. RecoveringJournalist

I finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy. Just a fun, cool movie. Definitely one of the better films I've seen this year.

The Ebert documentary is supposed to be on CNN tonight or tomorrow I think. Definitely worth a watch.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Grand Budapest Hotel
    Birdman
    Gone Girl
    The LEGO Movie

Best I saw in theaters this year, in order. Obvious Child was a nice one on DVD.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I so want to see this.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I don't see much in theaters, and I don't think I've seen too many 2014 films on-demand yet. But one I did see that I really liked was St. Vincent with Bill Murray.

Draft saved Draft deleted