1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movie of the year so far: Bourne Ultimatum.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Thing that made me laugh was the crowd's reax at the theatre I went to. During the fight scenes, and the parking garage chase, people were making exclamations throughout. And when the fight scenes were over, it's like everyone around finally took a breath. Heard plenty of "Jesus!" and "Holy Shit!" after they took their breaths, too.

Revisiting the whole "movies better than books" thread, I guess I just didn't like Ludlum's style. And the movie Bourne just seems harder-edged to me.

As for the asset not killing Bourne when he had the chance, I bought it. He was stunned that Bourne didn't ace him when he was helpless in the car, so he took a moment to find out why. Seemed legit to me.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Duh. Damn. I missed it that the asset at the end who had Bourne lined up was the asset in the car chase that Bourne passed on capping. It WAS the same asset, right?
    Makes more sense now.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Just saw it. Thought it was the least of the three movies. Bourne seemed less human than in the other two. It clears up loose ends, but it was unsatisfying. And, obviously, there could be a fourth movie now.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Holy Crap was that a great movie. Major kudos to the sound editors, camera ops and stunt crews. (How'd they get that shot of Bourne jumping through the window? An action movie without CGI or stupid throw-away lines after killings? What is this the 1970s?
    Loved David Straitharn in this, he finally gets to play a guy with balls and he does it well. Also nice to see Scott Glenn in a movie again. There was some serious ball-busting action in this flick. Hard to believe it was that intense and still managed a PG-13 rating.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Camera man followed him through the window.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Here's how they got that scene...click on the link and play the video "Bourne Ultimatum Fits the Bill" and you'll see plenty of clips of the camera man running with a steady cam right behind Damon...

http://www.reelzchannel.com/moviedetail.aspx?movieid=226616&noredir=true&clipid=20201

Paul Greengrass, the director, hired a stuntman and gave him a 3-week course on how to be a cameraman. Dude has since gone on to shoot 2 more movies. Multitasking is where it's at!

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I've thought this to be the best summer in a while for movies.
    Have seen Waitress, Ratatouille, Bourne, Harry Potter, Hairspray.
    You don't get that many good movies in summers generally filled with shlock sequels.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Near the end of the movie, when Julia Stiles cuts and dyes her hair, did anyone think that she wound up looking like the actress in the first two movies, Frankie (WhatsHerName)?

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The scene where she cut her hair in the sink was pretty much a replay of the scene in the first movie when Franka Potente did the same. So yes.

10. Killick

Glad someone else was like "Wow! Scott Glenn!" I've been a fan of his since "The Right Stuff." My only worry is that he's looking older and more wrinkled than Ernest Borgnine's nutsack.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell, Glenn's always looked old and wrinkled - you don't get that voice without sucking down a few million packs of cigs. I'm guessing he's still in his late 50s. (Actually, IMDB has him in his mid-60s, first credit was a Patty Duke show, wow!) And how do you know what Ernie's nutsack looks like? I'm guessing he would use his wife's miracle skin cream all over.

12. Killick

You can see them slapping against JDV's chin in some of his videos.

Draft saved Draft deleted