1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best movie endings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jun 1, 2011.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yes, yes, yes. Geez, the chick I was dating when we first watched that was crying from fear at the end.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Lots of great ones mentioned so far -- too many to repeat -- so I'll just list a few others in the comedy division that aren't in the same league, but worthy of a mention ...

Airplane -- "Good luck we're all counting on you" even after the plane is on the ground and then the auto pilot taking off again in the plane...
    Blazing Saddles -- "The French Mistake"; the commissary food fight", the chase to the movie theater, etc.
    History of the World Part I - showing the previews from the yet-to-be-made History of the World Part II (Jews in Space, Hitler on Ice, etc., etc.)

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

When I saw Paranormal Activity, you knew it was the final scene, but you didn't know what was going to happen, just that it was going to make you jump out of your seat.

It was pretty empty except for about eight of us, including three college girls sitting together. Needless to say, I would never condone talking in a theater, but during the last tense, pregnant pause, one of them said to her friends, matter-of-factly, "I'm gonna barf." I couldn't help but crack up to myself.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't know if Mel Brooks has it in him anymore (he hasn't written a hit comedy since 'The Producers' in 2001 and it was a good 15 years before that since he directed a good movie - 'Spaceballs'), but I would love to see him make Part II.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Since the 2001 Producers is just a re-write of his 1968 Producers I don't know if you can count that. But you're right - his three big efforts post-Spaceballs/pre- new Producers (Life Stinks, Robin Hood Men In Tights, Dracula Dead and Loving It) weren't that good.
    He's lost a bit off his screwball, but you watch to see if he can recapture that earlier magic. I too would also love to see him do a History of the World Part 2 (or the Spaceballs sequel Yogurt referred to during the film)

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've always had a soft spot for Men In Tights. (Master Robin, you're back from the crusades! And you've lost your arms!.... but you've grown a nice set of boobs.)

As for another ending, how about the original Longest Yard? Stick that in your trophy case.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I saw it in exact opposite circumstances, which ended up being perfect. A full theater, screaming at the final shock, except for one guy who jumped out of his seat and yelled "AW HELL NAW!!" in a higher octave than I could ever hope to achieve and ran up and down the aisle stairs giddily.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Love the ending to Armageddon (Can't remember if I've said that here or not). Seeing the guys get off the plane and the one divorced mom finally bring the kid to see his hero dad makes me lose it like a little schoolyard bitch every time.

Also, I don't know what we consider to be the "end" of a film but I'd like to nominate LOTR: The Return of the King. More specifically, the entire Mt. Doom scene and the following two lines "I am no man!" and "You bow to no one".

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The final test will be Mel's bringing Blazing Saddles to the Broadway stage.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Gone With the Wind. Not just the last kiss-off, but the final 10 minutes. All of it. Every last agonizing second, with at least three all-time lines from Gable.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The ballet amid a hail of bullets at the end of Bonnie and Clyde has to be up there

Draft saved Draft deleted