1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best MLB cap of all time?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If it didn't take up an inordinate amount of space, I'd do every team. I'm a sucker for vintage caps.

Unfortunately, due to some recent health issues, I can no longer wear caps as regularly as I once did. Wearing baseball caps affects blood circulation in my head, which exacerbates a minor heart condition. A shame, because I love rocking old caps.

Obviously, for me, this is the gold standard ...

[​IMG]

And this one, so simple, but also so regal, has lots of sentimental value as well ...

[​IMG]

Though they are annoying as hell, and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Red Sox cap now, I still really like this one and still have a warped version in my closet somewhere ...

[​IMG]

(I have a thing for red caps. I also love the White Sox red cap.)

Finally, a funny story about my last cap. I was at Cooperstown a few weeks ago, and though I have trouble wearing caps, I couldn't resist buying one when I was there. I decided to go one size up from my norm and see if it was doable.

The idea was to buy a Seattle Pilots cap so I could continue to try and own each cap of the Brewers' franchise. My dad thought this was cool and said he'd pay for it as a birthday present. I told him that wasn't necessary, but he insisted. Take the cash and get the cap. OK.

I go in there and they had the Pilots, but not in my size. So I was a bit stuck. My dad had given me this money, so I didn't feel like I should get some random cap of, say, the early 70s White Sox. I wanted something with meaning.

My mom and dad grew up with the Milwaukee Braves and my middle name is Aaron, named after Hank Aaron. Proudly, I can say, I had Aaron's name before he broke the HR record. But I digress.

The very first cap I owned wasn't a Brewers' cap, but the 70s Braves cap, the one that Aaron broke the record in. I don't know if my mom or dad got the cap back in the day, but I still have it years later.

I already own a Milwaukee Braves cap, so I thought I'd get the Braves cap that Aaron broke the record in. Thought my dad would appreciate the link between my being named after Aaron and owning that particular cap. Plus, it was a bit cheaper too.

I walk out, give him the difference in change back, and show him the cap.

"Check it out, Dad. The cap Aaron broke the record in. Pretty cool, huh?"

Silence. Followed by an annoyed smirk.

"You fucking traitor."

"What?"

"You bought an Atlanta Braves cap? Talk about a kick in the gut. They should never have moved from Milwaukee."

Oops. Sorry Dad.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This.
    A thousand times This.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Same here.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I love minor league caps.

I had the Carolina and Hickory caps at one point. Great caps.

Got to get the Everett AquaSox's home cap.

[​IMG]

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

NY Giants circa 1950s hat, all block with the orange interlocking NY and the orange button on top, is a classic look.

The Mariners wore Seattle Rainiers throwbacks last week. Thne red cap with the Rainier "R" is also outstanding.

6. The classic minor league hat still has to be the Durham Bulls. They started the trend of minor league merchandising.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

For some reason I am a big fan of the Indians road cap. Clean and simple, nothing fancy. Nice bold colours.
    [​IMG]

I also like the Twins cap that was posted earlier. There are a lot of great caps over the years, it is tough to name them all. But I do not like the gaudy 70s caps. As I said before, clean and simple.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I started doing that with team T-shirts. Whenever myself or a friend went to a stadium, I or they bought me a T-Shirt of that home team. I've got 20 of them so far, although some of the ones I picked up eight years ago are getting a wee bit snug. I usually try to get a no-name player - Jose Vidro on the Nats, Scott Podsednik on the White Sox, Clint Barmes on the Rockies, etc. My buddy grabbed me a Greinke two years before he got good.
    It's cool to have, although in New England people give me stares wondering why I wear an Orioles T-Shirt.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You mean this one?

[​IMG]

It's the one they wear all the time on the road.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not sure if or when the White Sox wore this cap, but I'm a big fan.

[​IMG]

11. KYSportsWriter

That was one of their caps when they first started in the early 1900s.

12. KYSportsWriter

Not a Jays fan, but glad they went back to this:
    [​IMG]

Not a Royals fan, either, but this one is fantastic:
    [​IMG]

And I love this Yankees lid:
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted