1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best MLB cap of all time?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Esquire had some writers weigh in.

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/best-month-ever/best-baseball-hats-of-all-time-10554899#slide-1

I don't think it's fair to use minor league caps, because that just opens Pandora's box.

My five favorite MLB hats off the top of my head:

(1) Orioles (the current one they brought back this year).
    (2) Expos tri-panel
    (3) Brewers tri-panel with the MB glove.
    (4) Pirates pill box hat
    (5) New York Giants hat - just screams nostalgia, doesn't it? Close call with the old Brooklyn Dodgers hats.

When I get my next house, I'm planning on building a pretty intricate basement sports bar as a project, and one of the things I want to display is a shit ton of MLB hats. Maybe even make it a crazy goal to get all of them somehow. Obviously, it might take decades, both because of the chase and because of, more importantly, money.

I am also trying to figure out how to display vintage baseball cards.

Obviously, my sports bar is going to have a very vintage feel to it. I'm excited about getting started.

OK, tangent over.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not a Yankees fan, but I love that hat.

The first year the Nationals played they had a navy hat with the cursive W that they wore a few times that I thought was great, but I don't think they've worn it since, or if they have, I missed it.

The Giants have a batting practice hat that is my favorite baseball hat that I own.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Brooklyn Dodgers, per Esquire and me.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

RE Displaying the cards: A sports bar I know of has a ton of cards displayed under the lacquer of the bartop. They're designed in such a way that they spell out the bar's name and logo, kind of like the mosaics you see of Playboy magazine covers that create an image of a Marilyn Monroe cover. It's pretty cool.

As for the hats, I love the old Brewers logo with the Mb glove. The Pirates' pill box hats are atrocious.

I'm a fan of simple, clean designs, so forget the tri-panels for me. Give me a Yankees, Boston, Detroit or even old Brooklyn hat any day.

6. Dick Whitman

I think it depends on my mood. For some reason, though, I love the '70s stuff just for the fact that they are such outliers. Like all style, baseball uniforms have really returned to classics like the ones you mention. But the '70s stuff is such a relic of its time that it's kind of cool. I wonder if the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, etc., etc., were ever tempted to get crazy during that time period. Must have been somewhat difficult to stay classic.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I've always preferred the Old English D of the Detroit Tigers.

9. Armchair_QB

What? Powder blue with pinstripes isn't crazy?

[​IMG]

10. Dick Whitman

Yeah, those were definitely fun ones.

I was thinking strictly hats.

11. Armchair_QB

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I love the Brewers with the glove, the new Royals powderblue is nice as well....as well as the San Francisco Orange.

Draft saved Draft deleted