1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best mid-major hoops coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It is this year. The Valley's been sucking pipe up and down its standings. Not one win worth a shit the entire nonconference season.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Drake has been playing very well ... beat both Iowa and Iowa State (not that those qualify as premier wins).

3. Bubbler

By Drake standards, yes, they've been playing well. By any other standard, meh.

Drake has played no one. Their strength of schedule is 199th. And as you mentioned, wins over Iowa and Iowa State -- symbolic for Drake though they may be -- are not quality wins this season. I watched the Drake-Iowa game, if Michigan is going to suck in the Big Ten, Iowa will be behind them ... they're terrible. And Iowa State is worse.

Drake has beaten two teams (Iowa State 5-4, Duquesne 6-3) with winning records and both were in Des Moines. I can't believe they actually got consideration in the AP poll, someone isn't paying attention.

Plus, they beat some suck ass team from Milwaukee. ;D

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Which beat some suck ass team from Muncie. ;D

Oops! Hit the Modify button instead of the Quote button ... in the years I've been a mod, I'm surprised that's the first time I did that. Sorry, bubbs.

5. Bubbler

Oh yeah? UWM hasn't had football since my dad was there in the 60s. At least my alma mater is in a bowl game ...

... Yeah, OK, I don't give a shit about their lowest-of-low rung bowl game either.

Gutter and Bubbler: Same Hometown, Same Faded Alma Mater Glory

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I had to go look for the guy's name, but Darrin Horn has had a good five-year run at Western Kentucky.

7. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Pat Flannery, Bucknell. Beat Kansas, Pitt, St. Joe's, et al., over a two-year period.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The well-dressed, sideline-spastic Ron Hunter at my alma mater, IUPUI (whoops, technically IUPUI has no alumni, so I have no alma mater), gets mentioned a lot but doesn't go anywhere, even though there are no plans anywhere to build an arena so the team doesn't have to play in the poolside gym. Then again, I can understand why he didn't want to step into the cesspool at Ball State. Maybe Hunter figures he can coach at IUPUI forever, so why leave?

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Saw them play last week. Great guard play, very smart team, and they can shoot the ball well.

Does it last through Valley play? Quite possibly.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

When his name came up in the Ball State discussion, I was really hoping he wouldn't go there.

He always puts out competitive teams. Decent guy to deal with in the few times I've talked to him.

11. Bubbler

My thing is, all Valley teams depend on great guard play. Josh Young is the real deal, but the rest of their guards are no more talented than the rest of the conference.

Drake's saving grace is the conference pretty much sucks so far, so by that token alone, they might move up. If this Drake team was playing in the Valley of the past two seasons, they're still a play-in team.

12. The way the Valley is this season, I could see Drake making a run at the upper tier. Are they good enough to hang with SIU, Creighton or Mo. State or Bradley?

Draft saved Draft deleted