1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Masters Holes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Apr 9, 2010.

1. I'll take the 16th. You have a chance to see an Ace or a triple bogey with regularity. Plus no hole is more fun to watch during the practice rounds as players try to skip balls off the water and on to the green (except stuck up prigs like Monty).

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It might not play well on TV, but it is the perfect finishing hole.

If you pull a driver, the bunker is in play, but you have a slight chance at birdie. Hit the bunker, and your par is a distant memory.

If you pull a three wood off the tee, you need an insane long iron to have a chance at a birdie.

And the five is always on the table.

And the uphill walk makes covering the distance time-wise as long as possible, and gives you more time to catch a case of the yips.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That smokin' hot beverage cart girl.
    [/TigerWoods]

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

4 is an incredibly hard par 3.
    5 is an incredibly hard par 4.
    i thought they ruined 7 by making it longer. That green was a not designed for a mid or long-iron approach.
    I thought they ruined 11 by adding trees up the right side and playing it at 505 yards. a birdie there now is an accident.
    13 and 15 are genius designs. and even if you have a 7-iron into 15, it's by no means a gimme birdie. If you lay up at 15, it's very easy to suck it back into the water on your third shot.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

13 is probably my favorite.

Along with milehigh, I am not a fan of 14 and 17. They just don't seem to have any character. At least from the TV angle, it looks like the holes are carbon copy of each other. But the atmosphere, the sound of the shot from the fairway on 13 make it my favorite.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

2 under's is dead right about 5. It probably gets the least TV coverage on the course because of its location and the fact it's sandwiched between two par 3s. But that hole is a brutal par 4.

I'll take 5 and 11 as the toughest on the golf course.

7. bwright

bwright Member

Absolutely shocked there weren't more responses along the lines of Slappy's and Batman's. The only reason I opened the thread was expecting some humor.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jim Nance agrees.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What did Sarazen hit for his second shot?

4-wood?

I rest my case.

Draft saved Draft deleted