1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Man's speech

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Jun 3, 2007.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

OK, I admittedly didn't look through past pages for topics like this, but i did do a search and didn't come up with anything, so hopefully this hasn't been touched on recently, and if it has I apologize and almost mean it!

But anyway, I'm the best man in a college friend's wedding at the end of the month, and it's about time to sit down and come up with SOMETHING.
    My problem is I'm young (23), so there are honestly only 3 weddings I can even remember attending in my life, and all of them had less-than-memorable best man's speeches (one was so terrible and rambling I felt like I should shoot the poor guy like a horse, put him out of his misery).
    This is my first good friend to get married, but the added difficulty is that he's been dating this girl longer than I've known him, so I can't do the traditional story about their meeting thing.
    So, anyway, as we all do in our times of need, I'm turning to the SJ community for help!
    Any tips? Suggestions? Good stories?

Thanks!

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Do you have any funny and appropriate stories about either (a) you and him or (b) him and her? If you do, tell one of those. Then do about a minute-long thing about how they are perfect for each other. Then sit down. Don't try to be memorable. There about as many memorable-in-a-good-way best man speeches as there are lipstick lesbians.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'll start it off. The next poster can take a line, and so on and so on. You'll have a speech in no time.

(Stands up, raises glass:)

"Friends and family, it has been said that there are as many memorable best man speeches as there are lipstick lesbians. Therefore, I'll try to keep this brief..."

4. amraeder

:) I like it, so far I'm off to a great start!

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

"...as Paris Hilton's stay in rehab. (Insert name) and (insert name) are one of the best matches I can imagine for each other. I can remember just the other day when..."

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've done 3. Just say something that captures your finest memory of them that will convey how they fit together. If its funny, all the better.

7. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I lived through a dreadful one yesterday.

8. amraeder

What was so bad about it?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ugh...my best friend told me today that I need to save some vacation time for next summer and I better be there since I'm going to be his best man.

Don't get me wrong. Even though I knew it already, it was great to be asked. I started teasing him about stuff I might say in the speech....but even though it's not set in stone yet and over a year away, I am NOT looking forward to having to come up with one.

But I'm thinking short, simple, and sappy works.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I'm happy and proud to say I discovered the lipstick lesbians.

Err, had the great speech at our wedding.

My best man was a strong writer at our place before taking a copy editing job at a much bigger place. So I knew I was in good hands.

Back when, he had an unreliable car and lived close enough to each other that we'd share a ride to work. In a 20-minute ride, we swapped all kinds of stories, usually related to us playing football in HS or college. So he had all the dirt on me.

He referenced my hometown to make my side of the family feel involved, and mentioned how several of his siblings were at Wazzu - I was marrying into a strong UW family.

He wrapped it up with this: One New Year's Eve, we rode to the liquor store so he could get champagne for his gf (now his wife) to celebrate; I rode along and bought some scotch for myself. By the end of the night, I had consumed most of the bottle of scotch and was wrecked (shocking, I know). I drunk dialed a handful of people, including him, just for the hell of it.

His closing line was something like this: "[Imitating me]'Hey man, it's the new year, and I've been drinking a bit and just wanted to call and say I love you guys!' (he slurred a bit for effect, but it's also probably true) Well, Hustle, this is our chance for all of us to say we love you too."

It was effective enough that, closing in on two years later, people still remember that speech. That and we threw one hell of a party.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"True love is the soul's recognition of its counterpart in another..."

12. I was wondering how long until we got a Wedding Crashers reference.

Draft saved Draft deleted