1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best in Preps applications

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bpallack, Jun 2, 2008.

1. bpallack

bpallack New Member

I'm looking for advice on what prep sports applications are good and bad. I'm not talking about story content, I'm talking about the actual database programs used to enter scores and stats into Web sites. This would include MaxPreps. Which application do you use? Is it working well? What are its flaws? Did you build it in-house? We're about to switch providers here and I'm looking for alternatives to our corporate product. All advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Becky in Tucson

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are any worth a damn? Why should we be entering this stuff these days anyway? You think the google people type in all that stuff?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I say just make 'em up. Coaches do.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Screw that. Save a step. Let the kids make them up and post it themselves. Plus photos of them partying and drinking.

5. bpallack

bpallack New Member

Wow, thanks Ace and Girl. That was super helpful. Anyone have an answer to my question?

6. imjustagirl

It's been less than an hour on a mid-Monday afternoon.

Calm the hell down.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Resolved: IJAG no longer gives tours to the pledges.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Becky,
    That would require us to have a knowledge of several products. The chain I do work for has its own tool that is a work in progresss. It is a 1000 times better than it was when it was rolled out a year ago, but is still done at the core level by people who don't actually use the tool.
    A good one will have a memory that allows you to type in a few letters and show you all possibilities, but adapt to new seasons -- so you aren't seeing names from two or three years back, a lifetime in preps.
    It needs you to make simple changes to names and schedules.
    But it also requires you to have operators who can spell and coaches who can do the same.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Second, with the proviso she may give tours when she's not pissed at her roommate over air conditioning..

10. imjustagirl

THE AIR CONDITIONING IS ON, DAMMIT!

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can I get you a-n-o-t-h-e-r cup of coffee?

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Does this mean this thread should be updated?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/54317/

Draft saved Draft deleted