1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Hot Dogs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HelicopterHarry, May 27, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In Canada, Shopsy's All Beef and for us, this place makes the best ever. And they probably taste like original hot dogs

http://www.fenwoodfarm.com/home.htm

Problem is, you have to drive to the farm to get 'em. An hour from us

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Then there are Tony Packo dogs...which really aren't dogs at all...but a pretty tasty sausage.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The finest Hot Dog I've ever had is in Providence RI - NY Systems on Smith St

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. printdust

printdust New Member

Best ones I had was at some joint at O'Hara. Next: Ditka Dogs (closed).

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

As Micro pointed out, for the WNY region it's Sahlen's or nothing. Too bad the rest of the country has no idea. Have yet to find a suitable replacement in Colorado.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If only there were a way to duplicate the Nathan's fries at home.

[​IMG]

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nathan's fries are the gold standard.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, we went to Nathan's for the fried clams and fries. Thought the hot dogs were very good, but not great. That being said, whenever I am on a diet, I allow myself to have Nathan's hot dogs when I see them in an airport.

9. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

I don't think anyone can say definitively that Brand X is the best, end of story, etc., unless they've tried every single brand out there, so the "end of thread" hyperbole is a little silly.

From what I've had, I like Nathan's and Hebrew National a lot, but I love Usinger's black angus beef weiners with the natural casing. It's a company out of Milwaukee that has been making sausages for well over 100 years, and they ship them all over fairly cheaply. I remember reading a story during the Salt Lake City Olympics about how this sausage company was feeding all the volunteers at the games, and the people went so ape-shit for their hot dogs that they went through the whole supply that Usinger's had sent almost immediately. So they had to keep sending shipment after shipment to feed the volunteers for the rest of the Olympics.

http://www.usingers.com/

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of the brands currently regularly available at most national-chain groceries, it remains:

(1) HN

(2) Nathan's

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

What about coney dogs? What kind of hot dogs are those or do they differ from state to state?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Anybody here from Westchester County, NY?

The hot dogs from Walter's, across the street from Mamaroneck High School are my favorite.

http://www.waltershotdogs.com/index_flash.html

"Split down the middle, grilled in 'secret sauce', served on a toasted bun with homemade mustard."

Delicious.

It's the kind of place you went to after your Little League game. It's the one place I always try to hit when I'm home, and it's where I'm bound to run into a friend from my childhood standing in line.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted